KNOB CREEK CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN
Corner of Knob Creek Rd. and Fair Ridge Rd., Johnson City, TN
Knob Creek, established in 1799, was the first Brethren church organized in Washington County. Samuel Garber preached in English and Michael Krouse preached in German.
Joseph Bowman had a large house, two rooms of which were used as a meeting place. The first log church was built in 1834 and the present frane church was built in 1905.
The Annual Conference was held at Knob Creek in 1846; slavery was the main topic. The first Love Feast (communion) was held in Michael Krouse’s home in 1799. It was conducted by Elder Burkett of North Carolina and Isaac Hammer.
The first members were Samuel Garber, Michael Krouse, Isaac Hammer and Deacon Joseph Bowman.
Isaac Hammer was the first pastor.
|The Tennessee Historical Commission placed a marker giving the history of the church on the church property in late spring 2000.
“Organized circa 1799 by Elder Samuel Garber of Virginia, the Knob Creek Church of the Brethren was the first Brethren congegation in Tennessee. Isaac Hammer was the first miniser. Daniel Bowman preached in English and Michael Krouse preached in German. First communion was held at the Krouse home. Worship was in homes until 1834 when a log church was built. The present church was built in 1905.”For information about the Knob Creek Church of the Brethren Cemetery in the Cemetery Section of the web site
Posted 24 Nov 2004; updated 24 Sep 2005.