Cemeteries

Cemeteries in Obion County, Tennessee

  • Alamo Baptist Church Cemetery
  • Antioch Baptist Cemetery
  • Antioch Union Cemetery
  • Beard Family Cemetery – Destroyed, stones apparently moved to Mt. Moriah Cemetery. Was located in Mt. Moriah Community south of Mt. Moriah Cemetery on land purchased by Levi Beard in 1853.
  • Beech Cemetery – Beech Chapel Road next to Beech Cum. Presb. Church, 1 mi. west of intersection of Old Troy Hwy and Beech Chapel Rd.
  • Bethlehem Cemetery
  • Beulah Cemetery – Behind Goodyear Tire Plant, Mt. Zion Rd, NW of Union City.
  • Burrus Cemetery
  • Caldwell Cemetery
  • Calhoun Cemetery
  • Campground Cemeteries
  • Canaday Cemetery – Ebenezer Rd, W of Troy, across rd from Bill Muse Home, about 50/60 yards off road on a ridge. Not maintained, contains one badly damaged stone.
  • Cane Creek Cemetery – Primitive Baptist Church is just off the SR 216 about a mile from the Weakley county line in Obion County, Civil District No 7. It is at the end of a short dead end road, that at one time was called the Ruby Harrison road. A moderately large cemetery is located there also.
  • Carman Cemetery
  • Chambers-Holman Cemetery – North of Ken-Tenn Hwy. between Union City and South Fulton, across from Obion County Memorial Gardens. Surnames: Brown, Holman, Chambers, Rowland, Kimberlin, Shepard, Drewy, Ragsdale, Cox.
  • Chapel Hill Cemetery
  • Cheatham Cemetery – one mile N of “Highland Mill,” E of Section Line Rd near the L &N RR and in a field about 200 yards n. of L & N RR. Not maintained: 6 Cheatham’s: Arthur Boyd, Elvira Hardy, Juda, Anna D, Suddie Jane Bachelor, Thomas.
  • Cloar Cemetery – Near Clayton on Harold Denson Farm off Old Lake Rd (Hwy 22) to the right. Surnames: Alexander, Barnes, Cloar, Cunningham, Donnell, Ferguson, Glover, Kirk, Marshall. Earliest date found is 1865.
  • Cobb’s Chapel Cemetery
  • Crockett Cemetery
  • Cunningham Cemetery
  • Dallas Cemetery – Completely lost, reported to be about 1 miles N. of Beech Church and said to be burial site of Joshua Dallas b. about 1763 VA, d.1848, and his wife. Joshua Dallas as a veteran of Am. Revolution, War of 1812 and Creek Indian War. Moved to Obion Co. in 1830, taking title to 91 acres.
  • Davis-Park Cemetery – Crystal Community, Goff Place, about 150 yds. behind Goff home in the woods. Grave-markers: I. J. Lynch; E. C. Coleman; Winford, F. J. and Telitha Jane Hudspeth; James David. George W. Park may be buried here in an unmarked grave.
  • Eastview Cemetery
  • Easterwood Cemetery – Obion Chapel Community, N side of Hwy 22 between Troy and Hornbeak, on land owned by Willie George and Mildred Davis. Fenced but not maintained. Many unmarked graves, one stone: Wm. C. Easterwood, Jul 16, 1931 – Dec. 24, 1901; Silvina Easterwood, Feb 9, 1839 – (never carved), wife of William C.
  • Elbridge Cemetery
  • Ellison (Allison) Cemetery – On wooded ridge west of Shawtown. Referred to as public or community cemetery, not fenced or maintained. Stones: Mary E. Allison Landrum, W. R. Gantlett, Drewrey Jones, Walter Daniel, Viola Daicel Cochran, Calvin Whitkey, Thomas Whitkey.
  • Ferguson Cemetery – Near Kentucky line, west of Woodland Mills on Dee Brannon Farm. Unmarked graves of Sarah Ferguson, d. 1882; one of her children said to be buried “near a big oak tree on the home place on the bank of Reelfoot Creek.”
  • Ferguson Farm Cemetery – Years ago there was more than one rock. In November 1999, the only one found: James T. Thomas, 1856-1898.
  • Ferrell-Lacewell Cemetery – In Obion panhandle, 1 mile W of Hwy 45 E off Harris-McConnell Rd on Ferrell Farm. 3 Ferrell’s, Elizar Jane, James, Lucy J. 5 Lasswell’s, Juda, Juda Francies, Mary, Mattie, Robert.
  • Finch Cemetery (see Turnpike Cemeteries)
  • Fox Cemetery
  • George Family Cemetery
  • Gill Cemetery – Completely destroyed. Was in front of Robert Glascoe home on land believed owned by Robert Moultree, East of intersection of Jack Douglas & Taylor Road in NE Obion Co., 2 or 3 miles W of S. Fulton.
  • Goodman Cemetery – 1/2 mi. E Obion Chapel Methodist Church.
  • Graves Chapel – Church of God – Adjacent to Obion Chapel.
  • Guthrey Cemetery – Take TN 22 toward Reelfoot; after passing Walnut Log Rd on right, take 2nd road on left, past this approximately 1000 ft. Logging road on left. Walk uphill 500 ft. Cemetery is on left, top of high hill, possibly on Milton Hamilton property.
  • Hammes-Gray Cemetery – NW corner of county, Woodring Rd. about 50-75 yards N of  road in wooded area. 4 Gray’s: Richard, Susan C, Fannie M, Martha A; 5 Hammes, John N, Juliana, John, Francis Jane, Mary Ann, and an infant Helion M Conner.
  • Hardy Cemetery – On Bill Latimer land, NE of Union City, E of Grasfeder Farm, about 1 1/2 mi. South of KY State Line Rd. Abandoned and overgrown. Three Hardy’s: Josephine, Robert M, Jo. D.
  • Harper-Nelms Cemetery
  • Harelson-Scott Cemetery – Just inside corporate limits of Union City, North Clover Street. Looks as if street were constructed through cemetery, but older residents say there were two family cemeteries on opposite sides of road.
  • Harpole Cemetery [1] – Nearly to KY, N and a little E of Union City on back of Claude Taylor Farm (Lynch Farm). N of Taylor Brother’s Rd, presently owned by Hoyt and Glen Griffen. Previous renters have stacked stones under a walnut tree “near where they stood.” Foundation stones remain for at least 3 markers, but only one marker with data could be found: William Harpole, Dec 1, 1800 – Mar 3, 1881.
  • Harpole Cemetery [2] – On Tom Elam land, E of Jordon Hwy on old Hickman-Dresden Rd. No stones, but according to locals, John Harpole, 1792-1861, and two wives buried east of the log house. (this looks to be about 1/2 way between Union City and the KY line on the right [east] side of the road to Cayce KY.
  • Hogue Cemetery – 2 miles NW of Troy – one of the county’s oldest cemeteries. Slaves were buried in the NW corner of the plot. Surnames: King, Hogue, Harper, Brown, Harder, Greene, Head, Robinson, Hart, Pyle.
  • Hollomon Cemetery
  • Holman Cemetery
  • Holman (Slave) Cemetery – On old Holman Farm in Harris Community, now owned by Rodney Holman. Cemetery is reportedly near a home. No grave listings.
  • Hornbeak Cemetery
  • Huddleston-Winstead Cemetery – TN side of State Line Rd, about 2 miles W of Fulton KY, perhaps 150 yards off road. Seven Huddleston: Daniel, Sarah, Lizzie, Tom, May, Robert B, and Milton. Six Winstead’s: Wm., Harriet, George, John, Mary, Infant daughter.
  • Jackson Family Cemetery – (description only)
  • Johnson Cemetery
  • Johnson Grove Cemetery – Panhandle, W off Hwy 45 E, 1.6 miles on Frank Sellers Rd on the north side.
  • Joyner Cemetery – In field between Old Troy Hwy and horse barn on Bill Tanner Farm. W of gravel road called Catron. Overgrown, not maintained.
  • Killough (or Evans) Cemetery – W of Hickman & Union City Hwy at Brevard Crossing. Farm known locally as Killough Farm. Four Killough stones: Joseph G, Phredonia, John R and Samuel O; Richard Evans, One stone with Children of J. F & N. P Evans, Erin, Asher, Joseph – son, son, daughter.
  • Long Cemetery
  • Mason Hall Cemetery
  • Matthews Cemetery – Completely destroyed. Reported to have been on Mack Wilson Farm, Shady Grove community. B. P. Matthews and wife are only ones known to have been buried here. His slaves may be here, too.
  • McElyea Family Cemetery
  • McFall-Porter Cemetery – In S. Fulton, south of Fulton Gold and County Club. App. 75 unmarked graves and about 15 marked. Surnames: Bidley, Bills, Beason, Bell, Bougard, Howard, Lee, McFall, Porter, Roach, Stovall.
  • Memorial Gardens Cemetery
  • Miles Cemetery (offsite-link)
  • Miles Cemetery
  • Minnick Cemetery
  • Mitchell Cemetery [black]
  • Mitchell Cemetery [White]
  • Morris Slave Cemetery – reportedly on Old Morris Estate about 3 miles SW of South Fulton, about 1/2 mi. south of KY state line. No graves listed.
  • Moore-Ryder Cemetery
  • Mount Ararat Cemetery
  • Mount Manuel Cemetery
  • Mount Moriah Cemetery
  • Mount Olive Cemetery
  • Mount Zion Methodist Church Cemetery – On Mt. Zion Road, across the road from Mt. Zion Methodist Church, 4 miles northeast of Union City.
  • Murphey Cemetery – About a mile north of Ken-Tenn Hwy, north of Sale Barn on west side of Owens Rd. Fenced and maintained.
  • Nelms-Harper Cemetery (see Harper-Nelms Cemetery)
  • New Concord Baptist Cemetery – at New Concord Baptist Church, Obion Co. TN, on Concord Rd about 1/2 mile off Hwy 45 about 1/2 mile north of Kenton.
  • New Ebenezer Cemetery
  • New Salem Baptist Church Cemetery – (Mason Hall bottom off Turnpike Levee Rd)
  • Norrid Cemetery – Completely destroyed. Was on “old Norrid homeplace” at intersection of Old Troy-Hickman Rd and Maupin-Hays Rd.
  • Oak Ridge Cemetery – On Oak Ridge Rd, one mi. northeast of Elbridge & right outside of Hornbeak.
  • Oak Ridge Church of Christ Cemetery
  • Old Republican Cemetery
  • Park Cemetery – Family lore, 4 children of John S. and Anne Royal Park d. while he was away in the Civil War. Burial place debated. Some say, on the John S. Park Farm (now John Caudle) in Fremont community; others say, the present farm of Dienzel Mauphin – at the site of a “knob” with several aged cedars. Mr. Mauphin’s father told him this was where the “Park children were buried.”
  • Pate Cemetery – Between Fulton-Martin Hwy and IC Railroad, east of Jolly’s apple orchard. Prob. on Yates land, reached by walking up road bordering Holman property. Not maintained, but as cemeteries go, not in bad shape. Surname: Pate, Blackburn, Smith, Huglett, Clark, Terry.
  • Pierce Cemetery – E side of Pierce Rd. 500 yds from Hwy 51. Surnames: McKinney, Milner, Morris (4), Pierce (4), Steagall.
  • Pleasant Hill Cemetery – about 2 miles west of Rives off SR 216 on the Ed Sublett Road. one of the oldest cemeteries in Obion County. Families buried there include Callis, Forrester, Laster, Funderburt, and many others.
  • Pruitt / Preuett Cemetery – Woodland Mills-Maplehurst subdivision. Contains 4 Preuett’s: James A, Laura F Wilson, Charles F, Ora Effie. Five Wilson’s: Franklin G, Amanda L, Rebecca, Plumer M and Fannie K.
  • Halem Pursley Cemetery – Destroyed in recent years. On Mrs. Robert Adams land, north  Brevards Crossing, about 50 yds S of Adams home. The infamous Capt. Berry of Civil War “fame” was buried here after his execution. Capt. Berry m. a Pursley but his grave was reported unmarked. Pursleys: Martha J, Betty, Halem L, Pattie J, Brice W, Jennie S.
  • Daniel Oglesby Pursley Family Cemetery – Destroyed to extent that no markers remain. Local lore says cholera victims buried here. Was on N side of Fulton-Union City Hwy about 150 yards off highway and about 1/10 mi. east of Gibson Co. Elec. Co-Op Bldg. Only fragments remain. Thought to be burial place of Emilia Calhoun Pursley Franklin, James Calhoun Pursley, Daniel Oglesby Pursley and Elizabeth Martin Murray.
  • Riggs Cemetery
  • Roach Cemetery [Black]Notherland Farm, NE part of county in a woods. Four stones.
  • Roach Cemetery
  • Roby Cemetery – Totally destroyed. Sources say it was on S side of Harris-McConnell Rd, directly in front of present James Threlkeld Home. James Eli Robey and his wife Louisa Stacy, d/o Will and Mary Stacy buried there.
  • Rogers Cemetery – Rogers Farm, Greasy Ridge Rd. bet. Clayton and KY-TN state line. Well cared for.
  • Rose Hill Cemetery
  • Salem Cemetery – Logan Rd, app. 2 mi. from intersection of Hwy 5 and Brevard Rd, northwest of Union City.
  • Sanders Chapel Cemetery
  • Sardis Cemetery – Two miles SE of Troy and one mi. N of Polk, 300 to 400 yds W of a county road and on the “old Dr. Blanton place.” Some graves not marked.
  • Scott Cemetery – 1/4 mile W of Hwy 45 at McConnell on Alvin Ferguson Farm. 2 Jones, 10 Scott’s
  • Shady Grove CemeteryOld Harris Road, across from Shady Grove United Methodist Church, 2.7 miles northeast of Union City.
  • Siler Cemetery
  • Simmons Cemetery, Old
  • Simpson Hill Cemetery
  • Snow-Arnold Cemetery – Completely destroyed. Was on Bob White Holman land, Harris Grove Community. Reached by a dirt land between Rodney Holman and Bob Holman farms. Several large trees stand at or near home site. Scattered fragments of stones remained. Mr. Holman thought a marker to Francis Arnold was removed by someone from Indiana. Three fragments listed.
  • Stanley’s Chapel Cemetery
  • Star of Bethlehem Cemetery – From Union City, north on TN 22, left on paved road 3/7 miles to cemeteries, one on each side of road.
  • Stovall Cemetery
  • Taylor Cemetery
  • Terrace Hill Cemetery – On Hwy 21, Troy
  • Thompson Cemetery – W of Elbridge, on blacktop road to Minnick. Just bend the road after passing through Elbridge. Maintained well.
  • Thompson-Naylor Cemetery
  • Threlkeld Cemetery – Hugh Tom McDaniel Farm, NE of Woodland Mills. Farm borders KY-TN state line. Cemetery can be seen from State Line Rd. Fenced and maintained. Five Threlkeld graves, James, Linnie F, A. J. Lida, Beveon B.
  • Totten Cemetery
  • Union City Cemetery (description only)
  • Union Grove Cemetery
  • Volentine Cemetery
  • Walker Family Cemetery – W. T. Hampton farm near intersection of Old Troy-Hickman Hwy and State Line Rd. Two Cemeteries here. T. W. & Wm. PACE were originally on the KY side. When road was widened in 1960’s, Pace cemetery was destroyed and stones placed with the Walkers.
  • Walnut Grove Cemetery – South on Hwy 45 E, 1 mile S of S. Fulton, E 2 two miles on county paved road. Cemetery founded 1838.
  • West Hill Cemetery
  • White Cemetery
  • Wilson Family Cemetery
  • Wright Cemetery
  • Zion Cemetery