Gibson County is located in West Tennessee, one of the state’s Three Grand Divisions. It is approximately halfway between Nashville and Memphis. The Tennessee General Assembly created Gibson County on 21 October 1823 from the 19 October 1818 Great Chickasaw Cession. It was named in honor of Colonel John H. Gibson, who served under Andrew Jackson in the Natchez campaign, the Creek Wars, and the New Orleans campaign. Originally named Gibsonport, the name of the county seat was officially changed to Trenton in February, 1826.
Map shown above – detail extracted from Tennessee map by F. Lucas, Jr., 1826, showing Gibsonport as county seat.