J. R. Bryan, bridge superintendent of Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad, is a native of Robertson County, Tenn., and was born August 12, 1844. He was the sixth of eleven children born to the marriage of W. P. P. C. Bryan and Malinda Lenox. The father was superintendent of the Sycamore Mills of Robertson County. He died in 1881. The mother died in 1858. At the age of fifteen J. R.entered Company E., Eighteenth Tennessee Volunteers, Confederate States Army. After the fall of Fort Donelson he was transferred to Forrest’s cavalry brigade. A short time after coming from the war he began the carpenter’s trade on bridges, and worked but seven days when he was promoted to foreman of a squad of men on bridge construction of the Northwestern Road. In February, 1870, he was promoted to his present trust, and now has entire charge of all bridges of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis and Northern & Tennessee lines of road. He is also engaged with J. A. Thomas in general merchandising in Dickson. He is senior member of J. R. Bryan & Co. in the manufacture of lime, staves, etc., and is merchandising at Burns’ Station. He is also a member of the Dickson Oil Company. Since the date of his marriage, April 5, 1869, he has resided in Dickson. His wife was Anna M. Truby. This union has been blessed in the birth of five children, three of whom are now living, viz.: Maggie E.,Mattie M. and Robert T. Mr. Bryan is a member of the F. & A. M. and K. of H. fraternities. He has always been a Democrat in politics. He is a very enterprising and successful business man.