Obituary of Mrs. M.M. Justice –  who died at Coalfield, Dec. 3, 1928  Mrs. Justice was born May 18, 1846, in Anderson County, Tennessee near the little station known as Marlow, in that county; her maiden name was Telitha Caroline Brummitt.  Her father’s names was James Brummitt and her mother’s name was Serelda Brown Brummitt.
Mrs. Justice leaves to mourn her loss her husband, M.M. Justice, who is in his 79th  year, and the following children:  Mrs. Florence Cheek of  Coal Hill, Mrs. R.A. Sisson of Oliver Springs, Mrs. Arpie Jackson of Coalfield, Judge S.H. Justice of Wartburg, and Horace Justice of Coalfield and three infant children who died in early life, making eight children born to this union.  She is also survived by sixteen grand-children and twenty great-grandchildren, and one brother, the Rev. W.R. Brummitt of Oliver Springs; and one sister, Mrs. Mary A. Freybarger, living at Hamilton, Ohio.  Mrs. Justice was 13 years of age when the war between the North and the South was declared, and many times during her life, while in a reminiscent mood, she would tell of the many struggles and trials that she had undergone during that war.  In Feb. 1862, her father was shot and killed through a crack in the door during the early part of the night, after a hard days work clearing a new ground, while he had one of his younger children in his arms.  At the report of the gun the father of Mrs. Justice dropped the child from his arms and fell with his hands in the fire.  There being no one in the house at this time, except the father of Mrs. Justice, her mother, who was very ill and confined to her bed; the little child and Mrs. Justice, who was then only 13 years of age.  After the fatal shot had been fired, Mrs. Justice locked her arms under the arms of her dead father, pulling him out of the fire and straightening out his lifeless body on the floor.  At this time the mother of Mrs. Justice thought in all probability that their house was surrounded by enemies, so she ordered that the light be extinguished and the fire covered up until an investigation could be made and the neighbors notified.  In this condition, Mrs. Justice with her sick mother in bed kept a vigilant watch through the night while her father lay a lifeless corps on the floor before them.
During the year 1862, while the war between the states was still raging, Mrs. Justice’s older brother Wiley Brummitt, had enlisted in the Union Army nad was stationed at Fishing Creek, Ky., and while there got a permit or furlough to visit his wife, mother and sisters in Anderson County, Tenn.  He came home and stayed a few days and while returning back to his regiment across the mountain and down New River, he was encountered by a bunch of guerillas, whose purpose was to loot, steal and kill and the ran Mr. Brummitt into the river and shot him in the face; then it was that Mrs. Justice, though a girl in her ealy teens, was again called to a trying ordeal.  She walked from Anderson County by way of Blowing Springs, where Winrock mines are now situated, but arrived after her brother had been buried in the old White Grave Yard in the 10th district of Anderson County on New River.  She met her duties boldly, and got her brother’s haver sack, as she always called it, his shot pouch and army rifle, after which she wended her way back across the mountain to her old home near Marlow.
She had a brother names Gilbert Brummitt, who died at Somerset, Ky., while serving in the Union Army.  She had another brother names Moses Brummitt, who also was a soldier in the Union Army, who was captured by the Confederate soldiers and imprisoned on Belle Isle, who died there during that great struggle.  W.R. Brummitt who is now living at Oliver Springs, served in the Union Army, 3 years, 7 months and 17 days, and was honorable discharged.  He is now in this 85th year.  Mrs. Justice had a sister by the name of Martha Brummitt, who married one Daniel Jones of Morgan County; this sister died in Roane Ciounty many years ago.  She had two younger brothers, namely, James and Rufus, who were not old enough to enlist in the army, both have been dead several years.
Mrs. Justice was a member of the Baptist Church for near 60 years; she was a strong believer in the Baptist faith, but first of all she believed in God.  She loved her family and her friends and was ever ready to speak a good word to those in trouble.  She was married to M.M. Justice, Nov. 26, 1871 by Squire Thos. Davis, who was one of the old pioneers of this county.
Mrs. Justice used to tell of the many hardships and privations that she and the other members of her family were subjected to during the Civil War, and on one occasion, she told of her mother owning a find young mare, and while the Confederate soldiers were passing through the country, she bridled and led this young mare away from the main road out into the forest and kept her there all night for fear she would be taken away from them.  She said that this young mare could hear the other horses passing the road and would attempt to squeal or nicker to them, as she called it, and at each time she would take her bonnet and wrap it around the mare’s mouth and nostrils to keep the soldiers who were passing the road from hearing the squeal of the animal.
Mrs Justice had many friends and no enemies in so far as we know, and will be long remembered and never forgotten.

(From the Morgan County News dated: December 13, 1928)


Comments closed.