William T. Robertson, proprietor of the Rogersville Review, established that paper July 23, 1885, and after a struggle through the consumptive years of a new paper, he has, through all obstacles, placed it on a sure footing. The Review is a supporter of the Democratic party, and is largely circulated throughout the East Tennessee region and vicinity, and among the Hawkins County people who have immigrated to the West. The Review has advocated the development of the marble and mineral resources of this region, and favored railroad extension, and a line from one end of the State to the other, for the completion of which there are well-founded hopes, and that in the near future. Mr. Robertson was reared in Greene County, and when a boy entered and served in Lynch’s Confederate Battery three years, being captured at Vicksburg. After his exchange he served in the army of southwestern Virginia and East Tennessee. Since the war he has lived in the Carolinas until he established the Review at Rogersville. The Review, in July last, closed its second volume, and entered upon its third year with brighter prospects than at any time since it was established.
Transcribed by Betty Mize from Goodspeed’s History of Tennessee, 1886.