Source: Moore, John T, and Austin P. Foster. Tennessee, the Volunteer State, 1769-1923. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co, 1923.

Charles Burgess Ijams spent his boyhood on the home farm and his earliest ambition was to be an educator. After receiving his preliminary education in the public schools of Corinth he engaged in teaching and subsequently entered a private school at Essary Springs, Tennessee, from which institution he was graduated in 1894, with the B. S. degree. In order to complete his education it was necessary for him to teach school again for awhile. In 1895 he enrolled in the Georgia Robertson Christian College at Henderson, from which institution he received the A. M. degree in 1897. Two years later he began his educational career as county superintendent of the schools in Chester county and when taking the examination for that office he had the highest average in the state. He was one of one hundred and sixty-four taking the examination. While active as county superintendent Mr. Ijams was also vice president of the Georgia Robertson Christian College and taught there. In 1905 he tendered his resignation as county superintendent and became principal of the Bolivar high school and county superintendent of Hardeman county.

In 1907 he came to Jackson as a teacher in the high school and subsequently he became principal of the West Jackson school, holding that position until 1913. The same year he became principal of the College Street school and from 1914 to 1916 he was principal of the local high school. In the latter year he was elected to his present position of superintendent of the Jackson city schools and he is discharging the many duties devolving upon him to the best of his ability. He is a man of well proved ability and is sincerely devoted to his profession. He is a constant student of it and since 1904 has taught or attended summer schools for teachers. He is one of the most prominent educators in West Tennessee and in 1919 refused to accept the position of dean of the West Tennessee Normal School because he preferred to reside in Jackson. He is interested in many lines of activity; all of which have a distinct bearing upon the development and improvement of the town, county and state and he is readily conceded to be one of Jackson’s most public-spirited and representative citizens. From 1919 to 1921 he served as chairman of the Madison County Highway Commission but resigned that position in April of the latter year.

On the 17th of August, 1904, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Ijams to Miss Edna Carroll, a daughter of Dr. J. R. Carroll, whose demise occurred in 1921, at Henderson. He was one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of his day and practiced in Bells, Union City, Humboldt and Henderson for many years. He was an active member of the State Medical Association, West Tennessee Medical Society and the Chester County Medical Society and was conceded an enviable position in medical circles throughout the state. Outside of his profession he was well known in the public life of Chester county, being active in the furtherance of every movement for the development and improvement of the general welfare. Mrs. Ijams is a woman of much culture and refinement and is a musician of ability. She is socially prominent and is a leader in the musical circles of the community. Mr. and Mrs. Ijams are the parents of one son, Charles Carroll Ijams.

Politically Mr. Ijams gives his allegiance to the democratic party and the principles for which it stands. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, being past master of the local lodge, and he is likewise affiliated with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Loyal Order of Moose. His religious faith is that of the Christian church, and he is teacher of the Men’s Bible class and a director in the Y. M. C. A. For the past ten years he has been clerk and elder in the church. Along educational lines he holds membership in the West Tennessee Teachers Association and since 1914 he has been secretary-treasurer of the organization. In 1915 he became a member of the State Board of Education, which position he has held for the past eight years. During the World war Mr. Ijams devoted his time and attention to the promotion of the government’s interests and he was not only active as chairman of the Fifth Liberty Loan but was chairman of the City Speakers’ Bureau. During the period of his residence in Jackson he has wielded a great influence for the good of the community and no man stands higher for integrity and sterling worth.

Leave a Reply