by Joan Russell
Located on State Route 75, one mile south of Sulphur Springs crossroads, or two miles north of Bowmantown on Clear Fork Creek.
Early Washington County deeds:
DB33 Jonathan C. Mitchell conveyance to Martha Strain, 18 May 1852, “1/2 tract together with the flowery mill and all appurtenances…formerly owned by John Stephenson.”
DB45 W.S. Strain conveyed the property to M. S. Mahoney and A.J. Campbell on 3 March 1875.
DB47 M. S. Mahoney conveyed his one half interest to A. J. Campbell on 14 Oct. 1880.
Mr. Campbell evidently attempted operating the mill himself and then employed someone to operate it for him. He subsequently hired Allison W. Taylor in 1890, and sold the mill to A. W. Taylor in 1897(DB 75).
At the time of purchase the mill had a water wheel and was a buhr mill, grinding wheat and corn. A.W. Taylor converted the mill from water wheel to undershot water turbine power, and, with the loan of $900 from a Mr. Cruikshanks, purchased the machinery to convert his mill to a roller mill. The machinery was shipped by rail to the Jonesboro Depot and transported by horse and wagon to the mill. He operated the mill under the name of Walnut Grove Roller Mill, and sold some dry goods along with the flour and meal. In the late 1920’s his letterhead listed A. W. Taylor, Owner and Charles Taylor, Manager. They continued to work together until the late 1930’s when the mill was turned over to Charles due to the ill health of its owner.
A disclaimer by A.W. Taylor posted just outside the door to the mill office to be quite interesting: