FAIRVIEW UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
878 State Highway 81 North, near the intersection of Leesburg Rd., Fairview Community.
Residents of the community had been meeting at the nearby Maple Grove Society of Friends (Quaker) Church, when they decided to build a church. Land was obtained from J.W. Smith. Timber for the project was donated by Virdie Bacon.* In December 1908 the first service was held in the new building. The bell for the bell tower and steeple was purchased for $40.00.** Dr. Robertson of the First Methodist Church in Johnson City dedicated the church in the Spring of 1909 as the Fairview Methodist Episcopal Church. The dedicated church was placed on the Sulphur Springs Charge, sharing its pastor with other churches in the area. Fairview became a single charge in 2005, no longer having to share its pastor.
Through the years additions were made to the church and grounds. The large Fairview Cemetery lies adjacent to the church
Richard Walker, the first pastor
Chuck Nelson, 2008
Sources: *Johnson City Press, Saturday, 2 Aug 2008, Vol 88 (351): 4C, col. 1
*Cox, Joyce and W. Eugene, eds. History of Washington County, Tennessee. Jonesborough TN: Washington County Historical Association, 2001, p. 1061.