1896 to Present
1620 Mill Springs Road, Jonesborough, Tennessee in the 8th Civil District of Washington County.
It was affiliated with the Holston Methodist Episcopal Church conference 1896 – 1939 and the Holston United Methodist Church conference from 1939. The church was named Eden Methodist Episcopal Church, North until 1939 when the Episcopal Church North and Episcopal Church South were united and North and South were dropped. It has been connected with the following circuits: Jonesboro Circuit, Telford Circuit, Unicoi Circuit, Nolichucky Circuit, Cherokee Methodist Circuit Eden &endash; Bethesda – Speedwell, Bethesda-Eden Circuit, Bethesda-Eden-Embreeville Circuit.
R.A. Fine and wife, Edna M. Fine, Ephriam Dulaney and wife, Nannie Dulaney for the love and esteem they had for the said church, transferred and conveyed until the trustees their interest in a certain tract or parcel of land on which is to be erected a house of worship. It is in trust for the use and benefit of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The deed was dated March 21, 1896. Jessee Dulaney, A.B. Huffine, George F. Walter, D.B. Huffine and G.A. Miller were the trustees when the land was given to the church in 1896.
In 1945, the church was brick veneered and the entrance was changed to enter the church from Mill Spring Road. Later in the 1960s, an educational building was added. This renovation included turning the sanctuary around, the front entrance closed off and a new entrance made between the church and the educational building. The indebtedness from this project was paid in full in January 1969. The sanctuary was renovated again in 1979 which included stained windows, pew pads, new carpet, new ceiling beams, choir pews and new light fixtures. In 2004-2005 a new church was built and the older building demolished.
Charter members were R.A. Fine, Edna M. Fine, Ephriam Dulaney, Nannie Dulaney, Jessee Dulaney, A. (Absolam) B. Huffine, George F. Walters, D.B. (Daniel) Huffine and G.A. (George) Miller.
The cemetery is beside the church.
From the files of the Holston Conference of the Methodist Church Archives, Kelly Library, Emory & Henry College, Emory, VA.
Photos courtesy of Elaine Cantrell.