PLEASANT GROVE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Ten miles northwest of Jonesborough in the 17th District.
About 1846, Dr. Richard Baskett was passing by and saw a light on the site of the present church. Realizing it was a good location for a church, he suggested that one be built here. The first church building was log. Later, a frame building was erected and used until 1956. In that year, Lina Bailey and her son, Leonard, donated more land and a brick building was constructed.
The Reverend William Milburn was one of the early ministers.
The first member was Nancy Stuart, wife of Aaron Keys. Descendants of the Keys and Stuart families are still on the church roll. The first trustees of the original log church were: William Walker, Richard Baskett, Aaron Keys, John Mahoney, and Isley Fraker. In 1905, the congregation included families with the following surnames: Bailey, Baskette, Bowman, Brown, Clark, Cochran, Dougherty, Eads, Ealey, Hartman, Harris, Jones, Keys, Martin, McMackin, Mitchell, Musselman, Rodgers, Sellers, Shields, Stafford, Stuart, Walters and White.
See Pleasant Grove Methodist Cemetery
Reference: History of Washington County, Tennessee 1988 compiled by the Watauga Association of Genealogists, p. 81-82