Located at the corner of Watagua and Jackson Avenues, Johnson City, TN
GPS location: 36° 19.09N 082° 21.57W Elevation: 1630 ft.
From Robert Young, Sr, Patriot and Pioneer by Dessie Little Simmons and Fred Simmons, c1984.
p. 371 After Lucretia’s death, Joseph L. Young returned to TN and married 14 Sep 1848, Seraphina Jane Hoss (22 Dec 1823 – 20 Aug 1857), daughter of John Hoss and Sarah Adams Williams Hoss. Lucretia and Seraphina were cousins. Joseph and Seraphina Young moved to Catoosa Co., GA; however, they must have returned to the area of Washington Co. TN as Seraphina was buried Brushy Creek Camp Ground (now abandoned), which was located in the residential district of Johnson City, TN.
Three Star State Historical Marker at the site of the Brush Creek Campground located at the corner of Watauga Avenue and Jackson Avenue in front of the Masonic Temple. There are impressions of graves located in front of the Masonic building. On September 2, 1811, James Nelson deeded to trustees William Nelson, William Duzan, James King, Jacob Hoss and John R. Boring, 4 acres and 8 poles to be used by the Methodist Episcopal church for a house of worship. For many years a campground for religious meeting was maintained here with a central permanent tent and many family tents. During the Civil War Col. Robert Love’s 62nd NC Regiment, CSA, used the ground as a camp.
From History of Washington County, Tennessee, 1988 by the Watauga Association of Genealogists, 1988.
p. 25 About 1800 the Great Revival reached Washington County, with evangelistic meetings held at various sites for weeks at a time. Settlers came from miles away to attend these meetings, camping outdoors while the meeting lasted. The practice of camping resulted in the establishment of campgrounds. Two of these campgrounds became well known – the Brush Creek Campground (located in what is now Johnson City), and the campground at Sulphur Springs.
p. 81 In 1811 Brush Creek Campground was established on donated land in present-day Johnson City, extending from what is now the corner of Boone Street and Unaka Avenue southwestward to Market Street. These camp meetings served to increase Church membership, but were also occasions for families from the various communities to meet each other and exchange news.
p. 180 The name South Watauga continued unofficially until about 1805 when James Nelson, son of William, gave “4 acres and 8 poles” on Brush Creek to the Methodist Society (Bishop Francis Asbury) for the purpose of a church which was also used for educational purposes. This land was located on the present 300 block of West Watauga Avenue. The Brush(y) Creek Camp Ground flourished for more than half a century.
From History of Washington County, Tennessee, compiled and edited by Joyce and W. Eugene Cox, 2001.
p.222 Probably one of the last civil cases stemming directly from the war was instituted by the Methodist Church South to regain possession of the Brush Creek Campground from the Northern Methodists. The suit would not be resolved until after it went all the way to the Supreme Court of Tennessee resulting in a victory for the Southern Methodists.