1937 to 1959
Spice Hollow Road
The founders first met in the tool shop of John Roe. In 1939 Oscar Miller donated a lot where a small frame church was built.
Plans for the merger of Speedwell, College Heights and Miller’s chapel began during 1955. The church building was given to the Miller’s Chapel Baptists in 1957, since they did not own the land. The deed stated that the land would be returned to the Oscar Miller family when it was not longer used as a church.
The Methodist membership continued to worship at Miller’s Chapel until Jan. 1959 when the Cherokee Methodist Church was opened. The original Miller’s Chapel building is no longer standing.
The first congregation consisted of: Rev. G.W. Lee, Sam Crowe, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Dave (Norie) Harris, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson Hodge, Mr. and Mrs. Alec Bryant, Mr. and Mrs. John Roe and children. Other families of the congregation included: Cecil and Lena Stinson, Georgia Keene, Ben Huffine, Earnest Shew, Wiley Reed, Wiley Harris, James Strickland, Harry Scott, Earl and Edna Richardson, Robert and Jewel Stinson, Howard and Grace Harris, and Mrs. Eva Roe, a charter member.
|Dail, W.H.||1939||Kilgore, L.E.||1952|
|Street, Ogleva||1940-42||Arnold, James T.||1953|
|Lee, W.G.||1941, 1946-49||Green, James R.||1955|
|Fritts, R.E.||1943||Wampler, George||1956-57|
|Mason, Frank G.||1944||Given to Baptist Church||1958|
|February, Frank||1945, 1954|
|Wilson, Reid||1946||Members to Cherokee||1959|