(Formerly Vincent United Methodist Church)
1896 to Present
877 Mayberry Rd. Jonesborough, TN.
Vincent United Methodist Church was organized in 1896 and services were held in the old Mayberry School, located across the road from the present church building. After a short life as the Mayberry Methodist Church, the congregation affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church September 30, 1898. The property was given to the church by George W. and Nancy May and Madison and Sarah Loyd. The property included both May and Loyd parcels for the church and a May parcel for the cemetery. Much of the building materials were transport on men’s shoulders from the closed Lebanon Presbyterian Church on Taylor Bridge Road, because the dirt road was too muddy and gulled for horses and wagons. Materials from the Old Dutch Meeting House was also used in the construction of the building.
The donors sentiments as stated in the deed were that they “all and each were anxious to have a Methodist Church,” and their dream was fulfilled when they obtained and submitted to the Episcopacy letters of Support from the former Lebanon Presbyterian Church and Old Dutch Meeting House officers, which were also in the community. Trustees for the newly formed body were G.W. Swingle, Mose Bailey and A.J. Loyd. No records exist of charter membership.
The present church building was erected in 1899 and the congregation assumed the name, Vincent Methodist Episcopal church, perhaps after one of the early preachers. Vincent Methodist Episcopal Church became Vincent United Methodist Church following the merger of the Methodist Protest Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1939. Before 1939, the church was on the Telford Circuit and afterwards on the Nolichucky Circuit. Vincent became a single charge in 1989. In August 2005, the name was changed again to Mayberry Community Methodist Church.
1923-1929 E.G. Browning 1948-1950 Lewis J. Turner 1972-1976 Carol R. Cowan
1929-1934 C.R. Cline 1950-1952 Stanley Humble 1976-1982 Glen Milburn
1934-1935 E.U. Yankee 1952 W.M. Bull 1982 W. Darrell Ross
1935-1936 Charles Mchaffey 1953-1955 John K. McDonald 1982-1989 Lewis Weaver
1936-1937 Fred Rowe 1955-1960 Wallace Chappell 1989-1991 James Walter
1937-1938 S.A. Hopper 1960-1962 Kenneth Henderlight 1991-1992 James E. Smith
1938-1940 T.E. Goodman 962-1964 Charles Lynholm 1992-1994 Charles Armes
1940-1941 F.Y. Jackson, Jr. 1964-1966 P.A. Hawkins 1994-1997 Garland Thayer
1942-1943 M. Guy Fleenor 1966-1969 J.E. Harris 1997- John Hitechew
1943-1948 Ogleva Street 1969-1972 Billy Joe Hawk
The cemetery is in good shape. GPS location: 36.12.34N 082.29.56W
Source: files of the Holston Conference of the Methodist Church Archives, Kelly Library, Emory & Henry College, Emory, VA., 2005.