of the French Cemetery lies east of Trousdale and just east and
north of the Trousdale Community
Center and north of Old Shelbyville Road in Warren County Tennessee. It is in
an overgrown thicket on a bluff on the south
bank of the Barren Fork River. Walter Womack wrote:
probably 1,000 graves there in this
cemetery and a number of them are the early
members of the Caney Branch Church.
The French Cemetery
was used for both white and colored people. The whites were buried in the front
of the cemetery and the colored in the rear.
Only a few headstones remain
today. Two box graves, early rough stone
enclosures, are to be found there, but are in ruins.
The underbrush has recently been removed and many
sunken graves are barely visible. If there ever was
1,000 or so people interred there, their graves for the most part are lost.
The most notable remaining headstones are those of
Elder A. R. Hammer (Asahel Rains Hammer, d. 1879) and Daniel West (d.
1860). Daniel West lived in the hollow of a poplar tree in a canebrake
along the river below the cemetery and rode a white steer.
When Daniel West died he was carried up the hill to the French
Cemetery and laid to rest.
* Walter Womack, McMinnville at a Milestone, 1810-1960.
Published jointly by the
Standard Publishing Co. Inc. and Womack Printing Co., both of McMinnville Tennessee,
1960, p. 207.
Gravemarker readings for French Cemetery may be found in: Warren County, Tennessee
Cemetery Book 1. by Mrs. Almetia Cunningham and Mrs. Martha Holt, compiled and edited
by Mrs. Betty M. Majors, 1993
Trousdale was formerly known as Jacksboro.
Latitude/Longitude (Degrees, minutes, seconds):
35° 40' 12"N, 85° 55' 36"W