A. L. Leinart, merchant, was born near Clinton, Tenn., January 16, 1829, the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Queener) Leinart, the former of German descent, born January 25, 1805, in Anderson County, and deceased in 1887, and the latter of like origin, born in Campbell County, and deceased in Anderson County, in 1847, a member of the Baptist Church. The father was a successful farmer. Our subject, the second of ten children, was educated at Clinton Academy, and Strawberry Plains College, and taught school for four years. When eighteen years old he joined Company D, Fourth Tennessee Volunteers, and was one year in the Mexican war. In 1856 he erected the first house in Maynardville, and became a merchant until 1861, when he entered Brazleton’s battalion, as second lieutenant in the Confederate Army, and remained for a year. He was wounded while on picket duty near Pinesville, Ky. After the war he became a merchant, as at present. In 1885 he became postmaster. He is a Democrat. March 10, 1857, he married Mary, a daughter of Mark Monroe, who is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Of four sons and four daughters, three of the former and one of the latter are living.
Source: History of Tennessee Containing Historical and Biographical Sketches of Thirty East Tennessee Counties. Illustrated, pp. 1146-1152. Published: Chicago and Nashville: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1887.