Genealogical and Historical Societies
- Obion County Historical Society
- West Tennessee Historical Society – Within its twenty-one counties, it supports historical programs, archives, publications, preservation, markers, museums, and other historical collections.
- Tennessee Genealogical Society – founded in 1952 and located outside of Memphis. All members have use of their Regional History & Genealogy Center. See their BLOG.
Libraries and Museums
- Memphis Public Library – their genealogy collection includes more than 20,000 genealogy books, as well as other kinds of material
- Obion County Public Library – the Tennessee Room has a uniquely expansive research collection including over 1,500 microfilm records, an expansive newspaper collection, state periodicals, city and state records, census information, deeds, wills, family tree information, assorted historical maps, and much more.
Research Strategies & Resources
- Ansearchin’ News – online historical archive of the journal of the TN Genealogical Society
- Finding Your Roots in TN – online radio show from May 2012 discussing genealogical research in TN
- Obion County, Tennessee Wiki – from FamilySearch.org
- TNGenWeb Special Projects – in-depth information on Tennessee history, including Native-American history, early state laws, the state in pre- & early statehood, land history, military history and more.
- TSLA – Tennessee State Library and Archives, Obion County
- West Tennessee Heritage Study Center, unit of the University of Tennessee at Martin. Genealogy and the social history, cultures, and family history of Tennessee and it counties.