Robert A. ADAMS, farmer, is a Clark County Kentuckian, born July 10, 1832. Of the twelve children born to his parents, he and three others survive. N. M. Adams and his wife, Nancy (Holliday) Adams, were Virginians, and became residents of Clark County, Ky., when quite young. There were married there, and followed farming until 1836, when they moved to Smith County, Tenn., and resided until their deaths. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, under Jackson. Robert A. Adams remained with his parents until November 22, 1855, when he married Ellen Thompson, of Macon County, Tenn., who is just two months younger than her husband. Nine of their thirteen children are still living. Soon after his marriage Mr. Adams came to Obion County, locating on the place where he now resides, a farm of 100 acres, near Union City. Mr. and Mrs. Adams and part of their children are member of the Christian Church. The remainder belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Adams is a member of the K. of H., and is identified with the Democratic party.
James W. ALEXANDER, M. D., was born in Owen County, Ky., November 22, 1854, son of William D. and Nannie (Threlkeld) Alexander, born in Owen County, Ky., March 5, 1812, and November 10 1826, respectively. They were reared and married in their native county, and in 1866 came to Obion County, Tenn., where the father died, on the place now owned by our subject, May 9, 1873. The mother is still living with our subject, who was educated in the schools of the county. He studied medicine with Dr. Carter Blanton, of Hickman, Ky., and attended the university of Louisville Ky., from which he graduated in 1876. November 10 1876, he married Mary DeBow, daughter of Samuel C. DeBow, a prominent planter. Of their five children three are living: Sue, born October 27, 1878; Nannie, born March 5, 1884, and an infant born Jun 26, 1886, unnamed. Mrs. Alexander was born in Obion County, December 25, 1857. Dr. Alexander is a Democrat, and belongs to the K. of H. He owns 260 acres of good land, which he devotes to raising stock and the cereals. He has a commodious and comfortable residence in a good location, and is ever ready, so far as his means will justify, to aid all laudable enterprises. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
R. G. ALEXANDER is a native of Weakley County, Tenn., born July 30, 1847. His father, Adolphus Alexander, was born in Kentucky Jun 14, 1816, and was married to Adaline Dondleson, who was born May 31, 1803, in North Carolina. R. G. Alexander was the eighth of their nine children. His father died March 5, 1855, and his mother in 1868. He assisted his mother on the farm until her death, when he began working out as a farm hand. At the time of his marriage he began working at farming for himself, and is now worth about $4,000. Jan 20, 1869, he married Mary C. Crittendon, daughter of Abia and Elizabeth Crittendon, whose sketch appears in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander became the parents of seven children – four of whom are living: Walter F., Elizabeth., Letha and Wesley Elmo. Mr. Alexander and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is deacon and treasurer of the same. He is a Democrat in politics.
A. C. ANDERSON, farmer and stock dealer, was born September 1, 1847 in Obion (now Lake) County Tenn. His parents, Reuben and Mary S. (Colter) Anderson, were born and married in the state of Kentucky, and soon after came to Obion County, locating on the present side of Tiptonville about 1830. Here the father died in 1865, followed by the mother’s death in 1878. Of their eight children our subject is the second. He resided with his parents until 1864, when he enlisted in Forrest’s cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He then returned home, and October 17, 1866, he married Margaret J. Harper, who became the mother of ten children — eight of whom are still living. Mr. Anderson has followed agricultural pursuits in different parts of the county since his marriage, and since 1882 has been residing on his present farm of 130 acres. He also has a farm of 150 acres near Rives. Mr. Anderson is a member of the K. of H., and politically is identified with the Democratic party.
William R. ANDREWS, postmaster at Union City, Tenn., was born near Franklin, Williamson County, May 4, 1857. His parents, R. L. and Mary J. (Reynolds) Andrews, were born in the same county as our subject, the former in 1830 and the latter in 1833. Rev. M. L. Andrews was for many years one of the representative men of Williamson County, and was the grandfather of our subject. The latter was educated in Franklin. He is the second of eight children, and in 1880 came to Union City, where, until 1882, he was engaged in the grocery business. From that time until January, 1886, he published the Anchor, of that city. He is a Democrat, and his first presidential vote was for W. S. Hancock. In August, 1885, he was appointed postmaster of Union City. He is a member of the K. of P., and May 7, 1879, married Snow Church, daughter of Cap. J. P. Church, of Williamson County, born in March, 1858. They have three children: Claud V., Frank F., and Mary L.