Biography: BECKETT, Capt. John W.

CAPT. JOHN W. BECKETT was born in Marshall County, September 2, 1836. and is the son of Samuel and Rebecca (Swan) Beckett. The father of our subject was born March, 1809, in North Carolina. He came to Tennessee and settled near Lewisburg, and engaged in farming, in which he was very successful. He was elected justice of the peace, which office he held for several years. He was also postmaster for some time. He was a member of the I. O. O. F. and a Democrat in politics. He belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Our subject received a good practical education in the country schools, and at the age of twenty-one began business for himself. In 1871 he wedded Mrs. Jane W. Bryant, whose former name was Gresham. Mrs. Bryant had by her first husband four children: Sebastian C., born in 1855 and died in 1862: Ralph G., born 1857; Sallie A., born in 1860 and died in 1865, and Arch S., born in 1862. In 1861 Mr. Beckett enlisted in Company C, Ninth Tennessee Regiment, and was elected orderly sergeant at the organization, and at the reorganization was elected first lieutenant and afterward promoted to captain.

Source: History of Tennessee: From the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford and Marshall Counties. Nashville, Tenn: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1886.


Biography: BECKETT, Rev. George

REV. GEORGE BECKETT, rector and principal of the Columbia Female Institute and rector of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, was born in Wakefield, Yorkshirc, England, June 8, 1818, and is a son of William P. and Mary (Harrison) Beckett. Our subject was educated in England, attending Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, at Wakefield, and graduated in 1838. In 1840 he immigrated to the United States and located first at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he prepared himself for the Episcopal ministry. He was ordained, in 1843, by Bishop B. B. Smith, D. D., at Louisville, Ky. His first charge was in Hopkinsville, Ky., where he had management of a school. In 1852 he took charge of St. Matthew’s Church and Institute, in Jefferson County. Ky., and in the fall of 1866 removed to Columbia, and began conducting the Columbia Female Institute, and has met with good success. He entered on his pastoral duties in St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in 1868. In 1844 he married Miss Ann E. Temple, a native of Logan County, Ky., a great-niece of Gen. George Rogers Clark. They have one son–John Temple.

Source: History of Tennessee: From the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford and Marshall Counties. Nashville, Tenn: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1886.