"Marion County History"
Visit Nonie Webb's booth at all major Marion Co. Festivals.
115 Miners in 1939, Whitwell
Night Shift Miners at Whitwell, TN Coal Mines April 13, 1939
115 Miners (all but 4 named) Whitwell Mines, Marion Co.,TN
(See book: "OLD MINES & MINERS of MARION CO,TN) by Nonie Webb
Historical old KETNER'S MILL, last mill on the Sequatchie River.
Wooden part built in 1824 by Ephriam Prigmore, still operating.
The old Grist and Saw Mill has a Double Wool Carding Machine.
The annual KETNER'S MILL FAIR in Whitwell is always in October. (See" History of Ketner's Mill" by Nonie Webb)
HALE'S BAR LOCK & DAM
The "Grand Canyon of the South," this picture was taken on Opening Day
in 1913 and shows the dam across the river looking towards Chattanooga.
HALE'S BAR LOCK & DAM, and LITTLE SCHOOL HOUSE
Hale's Bar 1913-1968 Hale's Bar School 1920-1941
On the Tennessee River at Guild, Marion Co., TN 1924
Since there were no bridges or ferrys, both workers and
students had to cross the river through the tunnel under the Dam to get to
work or school on the other side. The little school standing by
the new Steam Plant in 1924 operated from 1920 to 1941. The
students were of the family's who worked and lived in the Village
shown on the hillside, or from the Jasper side, across the river.
Your Dad had to work at the Dam to attend school at Hale's Bar.
(See "History of Hale's Bar Lock & Dam School" by N. Webb)
1887-1910 PRYOR INSTITUTE Jasper, Marion Co.,TN
One of most Influential co-educational institutions in the
Sequatchie Valley. Founded by Jackson & Washington Pryor & Col. A. L.
Pryor Institute educated students of all ages from several states. The
building was sold to become the Marion County
High School in 1910 and later as Jasper Middle School.
Photo is courtesy of Mrs. Betty (Roy) Wooten (See Old Schools, Teachers & Students of Marion Co.,TN. by Webb)
Nick-a-jack Dam,1968 Marion Co., TN
Nickajack Dam was built on the Tennessee River, 5 miles
downstream from the leaky old Hale's Bar Dam built in 1913.
The waters of the new lake and Dam built in 1968 now cover
the old Nick-a-jack Cave, for which the new dam was named.
KETNER'S MILL COUNTRY FAIR
Ketner Mill Rd. Whitwell,TN
"The last old Mill on the Sequatchie River."
(Where once there were twenty three)
Once every year, in the latter part of October,
when the leaves are in fall color, the old Mill, with parts
dating back to 1824, comes alive again for your pleasure.
Set on the picturesque banks of the Sequatchie
River, Ketner's Mill Country Fair holds its annual
showing of the old water-powered grist mill. The old Sorghum
Mill , Double wool carding machine, Blacksmithing and
fresh ground Corn Meal are all in full demonstration.
On hand too, are all the fine artists, arts and crafters,
food, entertainment, pottery, canoe trips and wagon rides.
SAM HOUSTON ACADEMY
This 2nd Academy, built in Jasper,TN in 1868,
right after the Civil War, is now the Masonic Lodge.
Teachers in the photo above are Miss Bess & Virginia
Hoge. Subscription School Class of 1920. The sixty-six
students pictured are all identified but about five.
Most students became prominent citizens of Marion Co. (See
"Keepsake History of Marion County" by N. Webb)