| D | E
| F | H
| J | L
| R |
The Blair Family has, since the very
earliest settlement of East Tennessee, been prominent in its history,
and still has many representatives in Loudon and the surrounding
counties. These are all descendants of John
Blair, a soldier at King's Mountain, and a pioneer from
South Carolina to Washington County, Tenn., where he died in 1819.
His family of six sons and four daughters -- Hugh,
John, James, William, Thomas, Samuel, Jane, Mary, Martha and Rachel
-- came from Washington County to the present site of Loudon about
1790, and soon after, what was long known as Blair's Ferry was
established. Hugh, the eldest of
this family, was a cripple, who never married, and always made
his home with his brother James.
But little is known of the four daughters and of the second and
sixth named sons. James was born
in 1777, and married Jane Carmichael,
a member of another pioneer East Tennessee family. They remained
in the vicinity of Blair's Ferry, where they accumulated considerable
poperty (sic) and many slaves. They raised five sons and two daughters,
and had two infant daughters, deceased. William,
the fourth mentioned above, married Sarah
Simmons, who died in 1849, six years after his own death.
Four sons and six daughters were reared by them. The fifth named
above Thomas, remained in Blair's
Ferry a short time, and went to Indiana. John,
the eldest of James Blair's family,
was born July 19, 1800, and married Elizabeth
Johnston in 1827. He then located on the farm now owned
by his son, Dr. J. L. Blair. He was
an officer in the State militia, and was for many years a justice
of the peace. His death occurred January 18, 1858, his wife having
preceeded him November 14, 1845. Dr. J.
L. Blair is the eldest of five sons and five daughters,
and of three survivors of these, himself, Dr.
Hugh A., of Wilson County, and Martha
A., now Mrs. George W. St. John,
of Washington County. Dr. J. L. was
born in 1828, and 1853 married Margaret
L. Barkley, a native of Jonesboro. Of their two sons and
three daughters, two of the latter are deceased, as is the mother
also, who died January 5, 1871. In 1872 the Doctor married Mrs.
Lucy A. Osborn (nee George),
a native of Blount County, to whom two sons and four daughters
have been born. The Doctor was educated chiefly at Hiwassee College,
and in 1852 attended the Union Medical College, of New York, since
which time he has practiced in this locality. Returning now to
the James Blair family, we will mention
Wiley, who was born in Loudon in
1813, and married Mary M. Johnston,
rearing a family of three sons and two daughters, one of whom,
Rachel E. C., is now deceased. The
other daughter, Laura J., is the
wife of William R. Blair, of this
county. James M., W. W. and H.
E. F. are the sons, the first of whom, James
M. was born in 1844, since which time he has lived in this
vicinity. W. W. was born in 1851
and married Frankie M. Browder; they
have three daughters. H. E. F. was
born in 1854 and married Martha K. Eldridge.
They have two sons and two daughters. William,
the fourth named son of John Blair,
had four sons and six daughters; the first of these, John,
was born in Loudon (then Roane) County, in 1808, and married Mary
C. Edwards, a native of Virginia, to whom one son, William
R. (a prominent farmer of Loudon County) and one daughter,
Sarah J. (now the wife John
Hall, of Loudon County,) were born. John
Blair and wife died in 1875 and 1880, respectively. Of
the other children of William Blair, Vincent
and Hugh reside in Texas, and Elizabeth,
now a widow of Andrew Allen, resides
in Loudon County. The rest are deceased.
C. T. P. Davis, a farmer, was born
October 14, 1811, in Greene County, Tenn., and when eleven years
old his father moved to a farm, where he has since resided. He
is the youngest of five children of Jonathan
and Sarah (Crosby) Davis, born and
reared in Virginia, but married in Greene County. Nathan
Davis, the grandfather, commanded a company during the
Revolution, and about 1781 became one of the leading farmers of
Greene County. Uriah Crosby, the
maternal grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war,
and a prominent farmer of Greene County. Their ancestors are of
Welsh-English stock. The father was an active, old line Whig,
and when the Legislature met at Murfreesboro, was appointed justice,
serving for many years, and eventually assisting in establishing
the boundary of Monroe County. He was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He made his home with his father until the latter's
death, in 1854, when his sister kept house for him until his marriage.
July 22, 1873, he married Amanda E.,
daughter of James and Mary
(Scott) Griffiths, natives of Blount County, and residents
of the same until the former's death, June 2, 1870, since when
the latter has lived with her daughter, Mrs.
Davis. Our subject's children are Charlie
H. and Sarah N. He has been
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church forty-five years, while
his wife is a Presbyterian. Our subject is a Master Mason, and
Republican, first voting for the Whig candidate, in 1836. From
March, 1848, he served as justice for eighteen years, and was
the first to advocate and aid in establishing the Monroe County
Infirmary. After Loudon County was established, he served most
successfully as chairman of the county court for one year, and
also assisted in establishing an infirmary in this county, and
in clearing the county of debt. He began with twenty acres , but
now owns 2,200 acres of fine land, on which are deposits of iron
and silver ore. His grandfather, Nathan,
was a brother of the grandfather of Jefferson Davis. Mrs.
Davis is a third cousin of Samuel Houston. Our subject
is an able man, and a most efficient officer.
Dr. R. P. Eaton, a prominent farmer
and successful practitioner, was born in 1835, in Jefferson County,
where he was reared and educated. About 1856 he began the study
of medicine, moving in 1858 within the present limits of Loudon
County, and in 1865 to his present home, where he has enjoyed
a lucrative practice. He began, a poor man, with $4 and little
property, but has, by care and application, acquired his present
home of 600 fine acres. He represented Knox and Roane Counties
in the State Senate, in 1967-68, and at present is one of the
board of trustees of the State University. November 13, 1859,
he married his present wife. They have had two sons and five daughters.
The Eaton family is of Scotch-Irish
origin, and came to this State from Pennsylvania. The paternal
grandfather, Robert D., was a captain,
under Jackson, in the war of 1812. He and his wife died in Anderson
County. Andrew C., the father, was
born in Grainger County, in 1804, and married Susan
M. Donaldson, of Jefferson County. Their decease occurred
in 1878 and 1880 respectively. Our subject and Ellen
C., now Mrs. Boyd (a widow),
of this county, are their only children.
J. P. Freeman, a farmer in the Eleventh
District, was born in March, 1844, in Roane County, addition to
Loudon County. He is the youngest of six children of James
and Achsa (Pouder) Freeman. The father
was born and raised in Roane County. He commanded Company D, Fourth
Tennessee Infantry, in the Mexican war. He was a son of John
and Susan (Davis) Freeman. Mr.
and Mrs. John Freeman were born and
raised in Virginia, and Mrs. Freeman
came with her parents to Tennessee in 1812, and Mr.
Freeman came to Tennessee some time before that. He served
Roane County for many years as County Judge. James
Freeman died shortly after he came out of the Mexican war,
from a disease contacted while he was in the service. Mrs.
Freeman is making her home with her son, J.
P. Freeman. J. P. Freemen received his education in the
common schools of Roane County. When seventeen years old he enlisted
in Company I, First Tennessee Infantry of the Federal Army, and
served until the fall of 1864. He was sergeant of his company.
He was offered the captaincy of his company, and also of a cavalry
company, but on account of ill health would not accept. He was
thrown upon his own resources when seventeen years old, a poor
man, and what he is now worth, was accumulated by his own industry
and good management. He now owns 370 acres of land on the Tennessee
River, two and one-half miles north of Loudon. He was married
in 1868, to Alice E. Malloy. By this
union one child was born -- Alice,
now Mrs. Kollock. Mrs.
Freeman died in 1869. He was married in 1872 to Mrs.
Littleton, nee Miss Harvey.
By this union seven children have been born: James
H., Emerson J., Joseph W., Achsa, Robert S., Frances and
Hester. Mr. and Mrs.
Freeman are members of the Missionary Baptish Church. Mr.
Freeman is assistant clerk. He is independent in politics
and cast his first presidential vote for Samuel
J. Tilden. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
G. W. Hardin, a farmer, was born
in 1833, in Knox County, where he continued to live until the
fall of 1858. He then traveled through several of the Western
States, and located near Springfield, Mo. He returned to Knox
County, in March, 1860, and, in 1862, enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth
Tennessee Infantry (Confederate), and served until he surrendered
with Johnston's army. He had an arm shot off at Atlanta, and,
with the exception of the time he lay in the hospital because
of wounds, engaged in all the actions in which his company took
part. Farming has been his occupation. July 30, 1861, he married
Julia C. Winton, a daughter of John
W. and Eliza (Browder) Winton,
natives of what is now Loudon County. Their children were Oscar
J. and Lula B. (deceased).
Mrs. Hardin is a Methodist of the
Southern Branch. Our subject is a Democrat and first voted for
Buchanan. He is the third of eight children, of Joseph
and A. (Calloway) Hardin, the former
spending his whole life in Knox County, and the latter a native
of Ashe County, N. C., and form her sixteenth year a resident
of Knox County. The father was a colonel of militia. Our subject
now owns a fine farm of 700 acres, well cultivated, and located
on the Union railroad, four miles east of Lenoirs.
C. M. Hotchkiss was born in 1802,
in what is now Loudon County. He is the third of six children
of Jared and Betsey
(Knight) Hotchkiss. Jared Hotchkiss was born and raised
in New Haven, Connecticut, and immigrated to Tennessee about 1801.
He was a tailor by trade, and during the Revolutionary war assisted
in making clothing for the soldiers. He was widely known, and
a highly respected citizen. He kept tavern for many years on the
Knoxville & Kingston Road. Mr.
and Mrs. Jared Hotchkiss were of
English descent. Mrs. Hotchkiss was
born and raised in New Glasgow, Va. where she married. After his
father's death, in 1838, C. M. Hotchkiss
was married in 1838 to Sallie Ann Wyly,
a daughter of Harris and Artemus
(Taylor) Wyly. Mr. and Mrs.
Wyly were born and raised in Virginia, and at a very early
day moved to Alabama, where Mrs. Hotchkiss was born in 1811. Mr.
Wyly moved his family to Blount County, in 1829. He followed
merchandising from the time he became twenty years old until his
death in 1841. He served his district as justice of the peace
for many years, giving entire satisfaction. Mr.
Wyly was of Irish and Mrs. Wyly
of English descent. To Mr. and Mrs.
Hotchkiss six children have been born: Louisa,
now Mrs. Lauderdale; Isabella, who
first married John Anderson, and
after his death she married John Hill; Salle,
now Mrs. Johnson; Betsey, deceased;
Artemus, deceased; Claiborne,
deceased. Mr. and Mrs.
Hotchkiss are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Mr. Hotchkiss has been a deacon in
the church since 1832. He is a Democrat in politics and cast his
first presidential ticket for a Democratic candidate in 1824.
He is a very enthusiastic Christian worker, and a very successful
W. E. Huff, a farmer and citizen
of Loudon County, was born October 14, 1842, and is a grandson
of John Huff, who was a native of
Virginia, and married Mary Yates,
a member of a prominent Virginia family. They reared most of their
family of three sons and six daughters, in Virginia, then located
near the mouth of the Sweetwater, within the present limits of
Loudon County. He was agent for the King Salt Works, of Virginia,
many years, and died in 1830; his widow afterward lived with the
children till her death in this vicinity about 1850. Some of the
children moved to Texas, some to Missouri, and others to Kentucky;
James H., now of Whitfield County,
Ga., near the Tennessee State line, being the only survivor. William
Yates Huff, one of the sons of John
and Mary Huff, and the father of
our subject, was born in Virginia in 1809, and in youth came with
his parents to this vicinity, and remained at home till the age
of maturity, then married Keziah Tunnell,
and located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits as his
general occupation the balance of his life. He served as a Roane
County official fourteen years and at the time of his death in
1870 was chairman of the Loudon County Court. His wife (our subject's
mother) was a great-granddaughter of William
Tunnell, of Spottsylvania County, Va., whose youngest son,
Stephen, (grandfather of our subject's
mother), was born in 1754 or 1755, near Fredericksburg, Va., and
married Keziah Money in 1776, and
later located near Jonesboro, Tenn., from where he moved to Sequatchie
Valley in 1804, thence to Monroe County, Ky., in 1808, and died
there in 1828. William Tunnel (father
of subject's mother and grandfather of our subject) was born in
1780, and was the second of eleven children born to Stephen
and Keziah Tunnell. He was among
the first settlers of the Hiwassee Purchase, and entered the land
now owned by Loudon's old citizen, T. J.
Mason, where he lived, and died in 1846. He (William
Tunnell) reared a large family, our subject's mother, Keziah,
being the eldest. Her death occurred in 1866. Two sons and six
daughters formed the family of William Yates
Huff, our subject being the youngest son and fifth child. In 1876
our subject married Rachel A. Johnston, who was born and
reared on the farm where they now reside, which contains 325 acres.
Mr. Huff also owns another tract
in the county. To the above marriage six children have been born,
three now deceased.
J. B. Jackson, a farmer, was born
in Roane County, Tenn., in 1830. The grandfather left Virginia
and became a permanent resident of Washington County, Tenn. Josiah
J. Jackson, the father, was born in that county, Christmas
day, 1800, and grew to manhood on the farm, living with his mother
and step-father. He married Mary Browder,
a native of North Carolina, who had come in childhood to Tennessee,
where they located at the site of Lenoir's, Loudon County. Josiah
continued farming in Roane County after his marriage, then for
seven years lived in Monroe County, and finally moved to Blount
County, where he died January 17, 1877, and his wife November
5, 1886, at eighty-eight years of age. Our subject remained with
his parents until thirty years old, and then married Sarah
Keen, a native of Loudon, formerly a part of Blount County.
He then followed farming, Their children were Susanna
Frances (deceased), Adria R., Lee,
William Keen and Jose H.
[ Next Page
Loudon County TNGenWeb
Goodspeed's History Transcription Project
©Copyright Loudon County