Goodspeed's Henry County Biographies - T surnames

Stacker J. Taylor, a leading criminal lawyer of this part of the State, was born October 9, 1842, in Davidson County, Tenn., and is a son of Dr. N. C. Taylor, a native of Rhode Island. The father removed to Nashville with his mother when seven years of age and grew to manhood there. He commenced the practice of medicine at that place, but soon removed to Charlotte, Dickson Co., Tenn., where he married Matilda Farrar, the mother of our subject; he then removed to Lagrange Furnace. In the late war he was assistant surgeon of the army of western Virginia, and died at Warm Springs Hospital, West Virginia, in 1861. The mother is still living in Tennessee. Our subject was reared in his native county; in 1855 he entered Cumberland University and graduated from the law department in 1860, taking also a scientific course; he then entered Company C, Fourteenth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, and remained in the service until discharged for disability, caused by erysipelas, in 1863. After returning home he was arrested by the Federals, and imprisoned at Ft. Donelson for six months, was then paroled and went to Kentucky, and taught in Canton Academy, Trigg County, Ky., until the close of the war. He then went to St. Louis, and was traveling correspondent for the St. Louis Times for some time. He then located in Paris, January 1, 1872, where he has ever since remained in the practice of law, with very great success, ranking among the first criminal lawyers in the State. He was married February 22, 1872, to Emma Ledbetter, of Murfreesboro, daughter of Maj. William Ledbetter, of that place. Two children have been born to this union: Stacker J. and Kate L. Mr. Taylor and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the K. of H., a Democrat in politics, and takes an active interest in the political affairs of the State, but adheres strictly to his profession. As a citizen he stands very high in all circles.

Hon. Jasper N. Thomason, a prominent member of the Henry County bar, was born March 15, 1832, in that county fourteen miles west of Paris and is a son of Richard L. and Elizabeth (Smith) Thomason. The father was a native of North Carolina, born in 1801, and a farmer by occupation. In 1815 he immigrated to Stewart County, Tenn., and from there to this county in 1818, where he passed the remainder of his days. The mother was born in North Carolina the same year as her husband. They were married in 1820 and reared a family of nine children. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm and graduated from the law department of Cumberland University in 1855. He has ever since attended strictly to business and enjoys good success. He was a member of the State Legislature in 1883-84. In 1857 he married Sarah F. McCampbell, daughter of Andrew McCampbell, late chancellor of this district. By this union seven children were born, all of whom are living. The mother of these children died January 25, 1883, and June 8, 1886, Mr. Thomason married Frances Harvey of Greenville, Miss. The children are Andrew M., attorney in Gainesville, Tex.; James R., practicing law with his father; Charles H., John B., Sarah E., Mary L.. and Jasper N., Jr. Mr. Thomason is a Democrat in politics and an active member of his party. He is a prominent citizen and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Thomason is a member of the Episcopal Church.

James M. Todd, merchant at Cottage Grove, was born in that town in 1845 and was one of three of the first settlers of the town. The father, Moses Todd, was born in Wake County, N.C., in 1806 and was married July 30, 1829, to Penelope Bowden, a native of North Carolina, born in 1809. They came to Cottage Grove in the same year and purchased a large tract of land on which he farmed till 1852 when he entered the mercantile business at Cottage Grove, being the first merchant of the place, also the first tobacco dealer. He was one of the most popular men of the vicinity in his day and was for a short time magistrate of the Eleventh District. Mrs. Todd died August 14, 1858, and in 1859 Mr. Todd took for his second wife Z. C. Watson, nee Wilson. The father died August 26, 1874. Our subject grew to manhood under the parental roof and received his education principally at Caledonia College. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company G, Fifth Tennessee Infantry but was soon discharged on account of age. He remained at home till November, 1863, when he entered the cavalry, and when reorganized was in the Sixteenth Tennessee, as sergeant-major of the regiment. He remained in the service during the remainder of the war on Col. A. N. Wilsonís staff, and after returning home farmed for some time. He then engaged in the mercantile business for the next ten years, when his health failed and he then engaged in the tobacco trade. He is now engaged in the merchandise business, carrying a stock to the value of about $2,500. He is a man of fine business capacity, is a successful merchant and a good salesman. April 5, 1864, he married Mary Ellen Watson, a native of Kentucky born in August, 1846, and the daughter of Stewart and Zorena Watson. To our subject and wife were born eight children: Zorena Penelope (Mrs. P. W. Odom), Moses, Virgie, Mary, Birtie, Jimmie, Alby and Willie Grace. Mr. Todd is a Democrat in politics and cast his first presidential vote for H. Seymour. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are active and long standing members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Todd is now in business in company with his son-in-law, P. W. Odom.

Dr. Edward A. Travis, physician and surgeon at Como, was born in McClellan County, Tex., in 1860, and is one of five children, four of whom are living, born to Ludson W. and Sophia (Crump) Travis. The father was born in Henry County in 1825, and was of English extraction. He was a farmer and at the age of twenty-two was married. In 1859 he went to Texas, enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861 under Gen. Beauford and died at Alexandria, La., in 1863, while in the service. Mrs. Travis was a native of England born in 1832. About 1838 she came to the United States and died here August 24, 1886. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and a kind parent. The Doctor remained with his mother till nineteen years of age. Previous to this, in 1866, he and his mother came to Henry County, Tenn., and here our subject received a common-school education. In 1878 he entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., and graduated from this institution in 1880, after which he immediately began practicing at Crawfordís Mill, Henry County. In 1883 he came to Como and has since continued his extensive and lucrative practice with renewed success. October 26, 1885, he married Lillie Wilcox, daughter of John and Margaret Wilcox. Our subject is a man of industry and enterprise. He is a Democrat in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Grover Cleveland. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and he and wife are both prominent members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Travis was born in Calloway County, Ky., in 1864.

Albert G. Trevathan, a prominent citizen and business man of Paris, is a son of Henry and Mary (Ingg) Trevathan, and is one of a family of thirteen children, three of whom are living. The father was born in North Carolina in 1806, and was of Scotch ancestry. He received but a limited education and at the age of twenty married, after which, in 1834, he came to Henry County, and settled near Paris. He was a farmer, and died in 1884; was one of the very early pioneers of Henry County. He was a just man and was noted for his generosity, integrity and industry. Mrs. Trevathan was born in Virginia in 1808, and died in 1846. She had a fair education and was much esteemed. Our subject was born near Paris, Tenn., in 1837, received a good literary and business education at Paris, and attended one term in the law department of the Cumberland University at Lebanon, was admitted to the bar in 1859, and soon began the practice of his chosen profession. In 1861, at the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Company I, Fifth Tennessee Infantry, Confederate States Army, and in the early part of 1862 was promoted to second lieutenant, which position he held with distinction till the spring of 1863, when he was compelled to resign on account of ill health. At the end of about four months, having sufficiently recovered his health, he then entered Gen. Forrestís command in the Fifteenth Tennessee Cavalry, with which he remained during the remainder of hostilities, taking an active part in all the battles in which his command was engaged. In January 1865, he married Martha F. Yowell, daughter of J. M. and H. A. Yowell, of Holly Springs, Miss. This union resulted in the birth of three children: Jesse, Harry A. and Mattie Clyde. The first four years of his married life were spent in Mississippi tilling the soil. He then returned to Paris and entered the mercantile business, which he continued for about six years with evident success. He abandoned his business in 1875, and became engaged in politics. That he might more universally and firmly lay his political opinions before the public, he established the Paris Gazette, of which he was editor for two years, after which he re-entered the mercantile business. In 1883 he was appointed by Gov. Bate, one of the State railroad tax assessors, of which body he was made chairman. This position he still holds to the entire satisfaction of the public. In 1884 he entered as one of the proprietors of the Paris Roller Mills and has since continued the business. Mr. Trevathan was born on a farm, but not liking farm life obtained permission from his father at the early age of eleven to start upon the voyage of life for himself. At the age of sixteen he had a good knowledge of the English language, which he obtained by his own efforts. His indefatigable will has brought him success in all his undertakings. He is of a very prolific ancestry, all of whom have made industry and morality their distinct characteristics. In politics he is a life-long Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for J. C. Breckinridge. Mrs. Trevathan was born in Marshall County, Tenn., in 1842, and is a member of the Christian Church.

G. H. Trevathan, dealer in drugs and books, established his business in 1872 and carries a stock of $4,000 to $7,000. He has a good and lucrative business, one of the leading in the place. He was born in 1846 within one mile of Paris, where he was reared. In 1865 at the age of sixteen he began clerking in a drug store and continued to do so till 1872 when he engaged in his present business. The parents came to this county from North Carolina about 1834, where the father followed agricultural pursuits successfully. He was a man of moderate means and one of the countyís most respected citizens. He died in 1884 and the mother previous to this, in 1846. Our subject is an unswerving Democrat in politics but takes no active interest in political affairs.

Miles F. Tyler, farmer and stock dealer of the Third District and a son of John and Elizabeth (Holt) Tyler, was born in Virginia in 1829, and is an only child. The father was a native of North Carolina born in 1802 and his father Reuben Tyler was a native of Virginia and served as a soldier in the war for independence. John was reared in North Carolina and in 1827 married and settled in Virginia where, in 1837, Mrs. Tyler died. In 1839 he married Rebecca Fields and they had three children, only one now living. Mr. Tylerís second wife died in 1844 and in 1849 he wedded Elizabeth Waters, who died in 1854. In 1849 or 1850 he came to Henry County and settled in the Third District, where he resumed farming. He was a man of judgment and served six years as magistrate of his district. He died in 1864. Our subject remained with his father till his death, receiving his education in the common schools of North Carolina. December, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate Army in Company F, Forty-sixth Tennessee Infantry, as second lieutenant and after the capture of Island No. 10, returned home. He was not permitted to again rejoin the ranks and so resigned his commission. Previous to the war, in 1852, he married Susanna Chance, daughter of Rev. Thomas and Sarah Chance; they had three children (all deceased). Mrs. Tyler died in 1857 and in 1864 our subject married Laura Olive, a native of Henry County, born in 1841 and the daughter of Leroy and Harriet Olive. By this union our subject became the father of six children: James A., M.E., Edwin H., Horace M., Hattie U. and Miss Willie Lee. For five years Mr. Tyler lived in the Fifth District; was a tenant for one year; since that time he has been in the Third District, settling in 1865 on his present farm which consists of 500 acres; he has besides this 145 acres near there. In 1876 he was elected to the office of magistrate and held this for six years. In politics he was formerly a Whig and cast his first presidential vote for M. Fillmore in 1856. He and wife are both active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

BACK