Goodspeed's Henry County Biographies - B surnames

J. S. Barger, merchant, was born April 1, 1861, in Henderson County, Tenn., and is the son of W. O. and Catherine (Gray) Barger, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Mississippi; the father born February 1829, and the mother May, 1831. J. S. Bargerís paternal grandparents were natives of North Carolina and of Dutch extraction. Our subject was reared on a farm, and worked on the same till he was about twenty-one years of age. He then engaged in business for himself as clerk in a dry goods store at Huntingdon, Carroll Co., Tenn., where he continued three years. He then engaged in agricultural pursuits which he followed for twelve months and for about eight months acted as salesman for J. P. Parker & Co., Decatur County. In the fall of 1884 he began business on his own responsibility at Bargerton, Henderson Co., Tenn. In 1886 he began the general merchandise business at Henry, Tenn., and is doing well in his business. July 19, 1882, he married Dollie Vickers of Carroll County, Tenn., born February 20, 1863, and the daughter of William R. and Martha Vickers. To our subject and wife was born one child, Sammie Eva. Our subject is a self made man and has accumulated considerable property by his own unaided efforts. He received good educational advantages and is highly spoken of by all. In politics he is Democrat, and prohibitionist.

J. Wade Barton, farmer and tobacco dealer of the Eleventh District, and son of Benjamin J. and Rebecca (Killebrew) Barton, was born in the Eleventh District, Henry County, in 1824, and is one of five children, only two of whom are living. The father was supposed to be a native of Kentucky, born in 1798, and in that State grew to manhood and was married. He came to Henry County at a very early day and settled in the Fifth District when the country was a dense wilderness abounding in wild and ferocious beasts. He afterward settled in the Eleventh District where he remained till his death in 1830. Mrs. Barton was also born in Kentucky, in 1800, and died in 1875. Our subject having been bereft of his father when but six years of age, was reared by the tender care of a mother. He had a very poor chance for schooling as the main support of the family devolved upon his shoulders. At the age of nineteen he began the battle of life for himself as a laborer, and attended school a portion of the time till he acquired sufficient education to enable him to engage in teaching, which occupation he followed for several years in this and Weakley counties. September 17, 1846, he married Mary Ann Hardy of Kentucky, and soon after came to his native county. This marriage resulted in the birth of nine children, six now living: Adolphus H., Orion C., Eldorado, Scott W., Hamilton H. and Mary A. (Mrs. John Swanson). Our subject settled in the Eleventh District, where he taught and also carried on agricultural pursuits. He is now engaged in farming and has been quite successful, having accumulated his property by his own diligent labor. He is one of the most enterprising farmers of the Eleventh District and owns about 200 acres of good productive land. During his early life he served four years in the Eleventh District as constable and also several terms as magistrate, both prior to and since the war. In 1861 he enlisted in the Forty-sixth Tennessee Infantry, Confederate Army, and was soon appointed assistant quartermaster, which position he held during his service. At the bombardment of Island No. 10, he returned home and soon after entered the cavalry and spent some time in that service. He returned home in the fall of 1862, and in February of the next year his wife died, after which he did not again re-enter the ranks. March 22, 1864, he married Louisa E. Bowden, a native of Henry County, Tenn., born in 1837, and a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. Mr. Barton was formerly a Whig in politics, casting his first presidential vote for Taylor in 1848, but since 1856 has been a Democrat. He is a man of strictly temperate habits, never having indulged in liquors of any kind, and having no use for tobacco or coffee. He is a long-standing and prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, having taken the highest degree that that body confers upon its members. He is also an active member of the Missionary Baptist Church, having served as clerk in that organization for thirty years. Mr. Barton has a son, A. O., killed during the late war, at the battle of Harrisburg in 1864.

John J. Blake, farmer and leading citizen of the Third District, and son of James and Martha (Page) Blake, was born on the farm on which he now resides in 1826. The father was born in North Carolina, about 1776, grew up and married in his native State, came to Maury County, Tenn., in 1821, and in 1822 came to Henry County, settling in the Third District, where he passed the remainder of his days tilling the soil. He ran a grain-mill on the Obion River for several years, and led an active and industrious life. He died about 1846. Mrs. Blake was also a native of North Carolina, born about 1792, and died in 1873. John J. was reared at home and like the average farmer boy received his education in the common schools. He spent five years of his early life as an overseer and then purchased his fatherís farm, where he has remained every since engaged in tilling the soil. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Company G., Seventh Tennessee Cavalry as second lieutenant and afterward as first lieutenant. He took part in many important battles, and received a wound at Athens which rendered him unfit for duty. He returned home the latter part of 1864, and did not again rejoin the service. December 31, 1864, he married Harriet Lee Diggs, and they had one child, Charley Waterfield. Mrs. Blake died in 1866, and in May, 1867, he married Mrs. Paralee, daughter of Milton and Lucy Wakeland, and the result of this union was four children: Francis Eugene, Bettie Lee, Sallie and Luna. Mrs. Blake was born in Henry County in 1841, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. In politics Mr. Blake is a Democrat and his first presidential vote was for Lewis Cass in 1848. He is a long standing and active member of the Masonic fraternity, and one of the countyís best farmers, owning at the present 200 acres of well tilled land.

George H. Browne, one of the proprietors of the Paris roller-mills, entered the business in 1880, and has continued the same up to the present time with the exception of about one year, when he was engaged in the furniture and saw-mill business at Big Sandy, Henry County. The firm is now known at Browne & Co., the other member being M. F. Trevathan. The mill has a capacity of about 150 barrels of flour per day, and is the most complete enterprise of the kind in the county. Our subject is a son of William Browne, who was a native of Virginia, born in 1809, and who emigrated to Missouri with his parents when quite young. He received a good business education, and when about twenty years of age went to Kentucky where he was soon married to a Miss Robinson. They had one child, who died. Mrs. Browne died in a few years and he took for his second wife a Miss Trevathan; by this union they had seven children, six of whom are now living. After the death of his second wife, Mr. Browne married Eliza Tinin, by whom he had ten children, eight of whom are now living. The parents are both now living at Wadesboro, Ky., where Mr. Browne is engaged in tanning. Our subject was born in Paducah, Ky., in 1857, and received a good business education. When about fourteen years of age he began dealing in tobacco and spent several years in the South. In 1879 he came to Paris, and in October, 1882, he married Jessie Trevathan, a native of Mississippi, born in 1866, and the daughter of A. G. and Martha F. Trevathan, of Paris. One child, Albert Gentry, was born to this union. Mr. Browne is a Democrat in politics and his first presidential vote was for Gen. Hancock. April, 1886, he was elected city treasurer and recorder of Paris, which position he still holds to the entire satisfaction of the people.

J. W. Buchanan, a prominent citizen and farmer residing in the Twenty-second District, was born in Henry County, June 23, 1830, son of Thomas and E. Buchanan, both natives of North Carolina, the father born in Gilford County, 1808, and died in 1847; the mother born in Edgecomb County, in 1812, and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. Allen Freeland. J. W. received but a limited education in the district schools of Arkansas and in 1858 was married to B. H. Walker, who was born in Smith County in 1833 and who died in 1860. They had two children, both deceased. In 1861 he married Mary A. Edmonds, a native of Kentucky, born in 1842, and by this union had one daughter, Sallie E. Our subject located where he now lives, in 1861, and has always been an energetic enterprising man. In 1850 he began traveling in the sale of manufactured tobacco and this continued for about seven years. He is a member of the county court having been elected magistrate each succeeding election since 1870. He joined the Masons in 1852 and has had many honors conferred upon him by that order. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.

BACK