W. T. LAWRENCE, deputy sheriff of Coffee County, and a prominent citizen living near Beech Grove, Tenn., was born October 22,1847, in Coffee County. He is the son of John H. and Tabitha H. (Blankenship) LAWRENCE the former born in 1812 (died in 1858) in Tennessee, and the latter born in 1810 in Virginia, and living in Coffee County. The father was a farmer, politically a Democrat, and belonging to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Our subject, one of nine children, received his education chiefly at Beech Hill Academy, when soon after his father’s death the care of the estate was thrown on to him, soon after his eleventh year. After the settlement of the estate, through the good management of the mother and sons, he received his share about 1870, since which he has been devoted to the cultivation of the land. He at present owns over 210 acres of valuable land, he lives on a late purchase as mentioned above.
August 26, 1869, he married Leona, born January 10, 1850, in Rutherford County, daughter of W.F. ASTLAY. They have had eight children–four sons and four daughters. Mr. LAWRENCE has been deputy sheriff three years, and justice of the peace for six years. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while politically he is a Democrat.
Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.