HIGHT, W.G.

W. G. HIGHT, proprietor of the National Livery Stable, was born March 27, 1845, in Bedford County, being a son of W. G. and Naomi (Patterson) Hight, both natives of Bedford County.  The father was a farmer; he was born in 1818.  He was a successful farmer and trader, and was prominently connected with public affairs of the county.  He died in 1881 in Arkansas, where he had moved in 1867.  The mother died about 1875; now but two of the family are living in the county.

Our subject was reared on a farm; at the age of twenty he married and began farming, and continued to farm till 1871.  He then engaged in merchandising at Rover, Bedford Co., Tenn., till 1878, and also owned an interest in a mercantile trade at Wartrace from 1876 till 1878.  He then ran a mill and stock business at Rover till 1884, when he went to Bell Buckle, and for a short time sold goods there.  He then engaged in the livery business in Shelbyville, now doing an extensive trade.  He also owns a farm of 140 acres and a saw-mill.

He was married in 1865 to Miss Lucy J. Taylor, the result of this union being six children, five of whom are now living, viz.:  Eula R., Naomi E., Mary N., William E. J., Alice (the one who died) and Nola PMr. Hight and family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.  He is a member of the F. & A. M.  Politically he is a Democrat.  He is one of the enterprising citizens of Shelbyville, and takes special interest in securing to his children good educational advantages.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.