COOPER, Alexander A.

ALEXANDER A. COOPER was born January 12, 1832, in Rutherford County, Tenn., son of Micajah R. and Sarah (Vincent) COOPER. The father was a native of Rowan County, N. C., born December 28, 1806. When nine years of age he moved with his parents to Cannon County, this State, and in 1829 he was married. To this union were born twelve children, our subject being the second. The father of our subject died February 16, 1874, and the mother in May, 1864.

Our subject was educated in the country schools and at Union University at Murfreesboro. After reaching his majority he followed various occupations, such as teacher, merchant and trader up to the late war, when he was appointed by the commissary-general and permanently detailed by the Secretary of War as general purchasing agent of the commissary department for the Confederate Army which position he held during the war. He then returned home and resumed merchandising at Wartrace, which he continued for two years. He then located on the farm where he now lives. He also served as deputy clerk of the county court of this county for ten years. He has held several minor offices and has been magistrate of his civil district six years.

October, 1862, he married Miss Mary E. SINGLETON, daughter of Dr. Robert L. SINGLETON, of Fairfield, now deceased. To our subject and wife were born the following children: Robert S., Henry V., Constance, Alexander A. and Sarah A., all living. Mr. COOPER is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows’ orders, and owns a farm of 100 acres near Fairfield on the Wartrace & Beech Grove Turnpike. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Duck River Academy, and takes an active part in educational matters.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.