W. C. TUCKER, M.D., farmer and citizen of District No. 5, is a son of W. C. and Mildred H. (Kilber) TUCKER, both natives of Virginia, born in the years 1801 and 1802, respectively. The father was reared in his native State and married in 1826. He was a farmer and died in 1827, in the prime of life. The mother died in the year 1878, a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. W. C. was born in 1827, and was reared by his mother, his father having died when our subject was but an infant. He was educated at Cedar Forest, Va., and came to Henderson County in January,1832. He engaged in mercantile pursuits at Mifflin until 1856, when he began the study of medicine under Dr. COCHRAN of that place. In the fall of 1856 he entered the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, took one course, and immediately began practicing at Mifflin, but was soon compelled to abandon it on account of ill health. He once more engaged in the mercantile business at Juno, Henderson County, and continued till his business was destroyed during the late war. In 1860 he was elected to represent Henderson County in the State Legislature, and served a term of two years to the general satisfaction of the public.
December, 1862, he married Lucy D. BUCKLEY, daughter of John H. and Mary C. BUCKLEY, natives of Virginia. To Dr. and Mrs. TUCKER were born six children: Mary, Mildred A., Alice R., William F., Nathaniel A. and Lucy D. Mrs. TUCKER was born in Henderson County in 1840, and died in 1870. The Doctor has since been a resident of his present farms being now the owner of about 600 acres of good productive land in two tracts, all well improved. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1854.
Transcribed by David Donahue