REV. G. C. SANDUSKY was born January 25, 1834, in Wayne County, Ky., being one of a family of ten children born to the union of Jacob Sandusky and Elizabeth Burnett, natives of Kentucky, where they now live.
Our subject was reared on a farm. At the age of twenty-four he immigrated to Tennessee and followed farming till the war. He then raised Company H of the Third Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, and was in the service nearly throughout the war. After the battle of Stone River he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of his regiment. Upon returning from the war he had lost his property and his health. He then began the study of dentistry, and has practiced that profession ever since. In 1870 he located at Shelbyville, and has lived here ever since, and does a thriving business in his profession.
He was married, September 7, 1856, to Miss Ellen T. Rogers, a native of Meigs County, Tenn. Eight children have blessed this union, all of whom are living: John A., a dentist in Southern, France; Mary E., wife of W. S. Tipton, editor of the Cleveland Herald, Cleveland, Tenn.; Annie, wife of Walter Craigmiles, a hardware merchant of Chattanooga; Dick, a clothing merchant of Shelbyville; Frederick R., clerk in a dry goods store; Fannie, Cecil and Nellie. Dr. Sandusky and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he has pastoral charge of a congregation near Shelbyville. He is a Royal Arch Mason. He is a member of the Democratic party, having been a Whig before the war. As a citizen he is enterprising, and commands the respect of his fellow citizens.
Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins
Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.