Dr. B. H. BROWN, physician and surgeon of Mifflin, is a son of David W. E. and Clarissa (Anthony) BROWN, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1803, and reared in his native state, where he received but a limited education. He immigrated to Maury County with his father in the early settlement of that county, and was married there about 1823. He came to Henderson County in 1833 or 1834, and located about ten miles north of Lexington, where he cultivated the soil until 1866. He then removed to Mifflin, and in a few years after removed to Mississippi, where he died in 1874. The mother was born in North Carolina in 1805, and died in 1861. Her father, Philip ANTHONY, served as a soldier during the Revolutionary war.
Our subject was born in Maury County, Tenn., in 1828, was reared at home and educated in the common schools of the county. At the age of eighteen he began the study of medicine, and in 1849 entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., where he graduated in 1850. He immediately began the practice of his profession at Pleasant Exchange, in Henderson County, and afterward at Red Mound, where he was located at the breaking out of the war. He organized a company of sharpshooters, of which he was made captain, and, at the organization of the Twenty-seventh Tennessee Regiment, was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. After the battle of Shiloh he was promoted to the rank of colonel for gallantry. In the same engagement he was considered mortally wounded, and was discharged from the service. He did not sufficiently recover to again enter the ranks.
Previous to the war in 1851 he married Miss Elizabeth A. TAYLOR, daughter of A. and F. TAYLOR, and to this union were born six children, four of whom are living: Cornelia S. (Mrs. C. F. HOWARD), Dr. Willis C., Andrew E. and Jessie E. (Mrs. R. C. COOPER). Mrs. Brown was born in North Carolina in 1827, and died in January 1874. In February 1875, he married Mrs. Sarah B. COOPER, daughter of Richard W. and Mary E. HUDSON. She died in March 1883. In 1866 the Doctor located at Mifflin, where he has since continued his practices with his usual energy and success, being now one of the leading practitioners of the county. He is a man of good information, and has the confidence and esteem of all his acquaintances. He is a life-long Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for F. Pierce. He is also an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Transcribed by David Donahue