HURST, E.A.

E.A. HURST was born February 29, 1836, four miles southeast of Tazewell.  His father, Issac M., was a son of Aaron and Sallie (McNew) HURST, whose parents were among the early settlers around the “Old Garrison” on Ball Creek.  Aaron owned a large boundary of land between the “Old Garrison” and Big Spring (now Springdale), where he lived and where Isaac was born July 17, 1828.  Isaac was a member of a large family.  He grew up on the farm, and received a very good education for his day. He taught school, farmed, traded in stock and sold good; was married to Fannie B. STONE, a sister of T.W. STONE, Esq., and lived on the farm till his death in December, 1862.  He was a Democrat before the war, and when it broke out was one among a very few of the stanch Union men of his neighborhood, and suffered on that account; was magistrate of his district at the time of his death.  

When the war was closed; E.A. HURST was a small boy, the eldest of a family of four children.  The property of the family was pretty well swept away by the war, but he was kept in school until April, 1868, when his mother remarried, and he, a few years thereafter, left home.  From this time to 1878 he worked on the farm, taught school and went to school alternately, and managed, by close application, to obtain a very fair education in the English branches, mathematics, and the rudiments of Latin.

In 1878 he went to Texas, where he remarried two years, and then returned and read law under P.G. FULKERSON, and was admitted to the bar October 17, 1879.  He at once formed a partnership with Capt. J.C. HODGES, of Morristown, who already had a very fair practice in Claiborne County.  This partnership was dissolved in 1882, and he practiced alone until the formation of the existing partnership.

On July 27, 1882, he was married to Ollie CARR, a daughter of John H. and Mary CARR, and a sister of W.S. CARR.  He is clerk of the Missionary Baptist Church at Tazewell, of which he has been a member since February, 1881, and to which his wife also belongs.  He has occupied a station in the Masonic Lodge at Tazewell, ever since he joined, in October, 1881; was master during the year 1886. He is a Democrat in politics, as are the principal member of his and his wife’s families.  He has been engaged in some other minor matters of business other than law; was a member of the firm of Fulkerson, Carr & Hurst, and is a member of the firm Hurst & Chance, real estate agents, at Tazewell, and of Hurst & Graves, lawyers, at Maynardville.  He has some small personal property and realty worth about $2,500.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

Hurst & Stone

Hurst & Stone, attorneys at law, Tazewell, Tenn., practice in the courts of Claiborne County, and in the supreme court at Knoxville.  Their partnership was formed in the fall of 1885.  Members of the firm are Thomas W. STONE and E.A. HURST, both of whom reside at Tazewell.  

T.W. STONE was born in the Eighth Civil District of Claiborne County, three and one-half miles southwest of Tazewell, June 21, 1844.  His father, Thomas H. STONE, came from North Carolina to Claiborne County when he was quite a small boy, nearly eighty years ago.  He grew up on the farm, and married Mary HARPER, who was the daughter of Willis HARPER,, one of the oldest settlers in the county.  Thomas W. STONE was the ninth child of a family of eleven all but one of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and all but two of whom still live and have families.  He was raised on the farm, and his education was very limited. The war broke out while he was yet young, and before he had gone to school exceeding eighteen months altogether.  On September 16, 1862, he was conscripted by the Confederate Army, and remained with Company C., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry, until the fall of 1863, when he escaped from that army, and in February, 1864, volunteered in the Federal Army, Company H., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry. He was sergeant and clerk of his company, and remained with it until October, 1865, when he was honorably discharged.  After the war he engaged in farming, married Louvina BEELER, a daughter of Daniel and Louvina BEELER, members of the oldest families of Grainger County, December, 1867.  He lived in Grainger County two years, then came to Claiborne, where he farmed and sold goods until he was elected clerk of the circuit court of said county in 1874.  He served in this capacity one term, during which he studied law.  He obtained a license in 1878, and has, since that time, been engaged in the practice of that profession, together with mercantile and other business.  He was a member of the firm of T.W. Stone & Co., saddlers and harness makers, of Stone & Wall, and of White & Stone, merchants, of Carr & Stone and of Rogers & Stone, attorneys.  He was elected justice of the peace in August, 1882, and still holds that position; served as chairman of county court for the year 1885.  He has acquired some property, and has real estate in and near Tazewell worth some $3,500.  

He has one child, a son, by his first marriage, whom he has given a very fair education.  His wife Louvina, died in April, 1877, and he married Harriet HURT the following August, with whom he is now living.  He was chairman of the Democratic executive committee of his county from 1876 to 1884, and has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since 1872.  He was made a Master of the lodge during the year 1883.  His first wife was a member of the Methodist Church, his last is a member of the Missionary Baptist.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.