BRYANT, A.D.

A. D. Bryant, proprietor of the Quin House, and city marshal of McKenzie, Tenn., was born September 15, 1842, in Carroll County, and is one of six sons and one daughter, surviving members of a family of ten children born to Alfred and Polly (Stone) Bryant, both of whom were of Spartanburg District, South Carolina, where they were raised together in the same vicinity; were schoolmates, and were married in the same district, and he engaged in farming until 1830, then moved to Carroll County, Tenn., locating at Huntingdon in 1859, where they now reside. Alfred Bryant, the father, was at one time tax collector of Carroll County, also sheriff one term before the war, and two terms since the war, and is at present county coroner; he was born in 1809, and his wife in 1810.

Our subject remained with his parents until the commencement of the war, then enlisted in the Twenty-second Tennessee Confederate Infantry, remaining three months; he was then transferred to the Fifty-fifth Infantry, with which he remained until it was consolidated with the Forty-second Regiment, and was then color bearer of the consolidated regiment until December, 1864, when he returned home, and in October, 1866, married Aletha M. Quin; from this marriage were born four daughters and one son; three daughters are still living. He resided in the vicinity of Trezevant, Tenn., for two years after the war and then moved to Huntingdon, and from there to McKenzie in 1884. March, 1884, he was elected to his present office, but soon resigned and moved to Oxford, Miss., but after a few months returned to McKenzie, and was re-elected.

He has recently taken charge of the Quin House, and by the hospitality of himself and wife have gained for the place considerable popularity. Mrs. Bryant’s parents, S. R. and Emily (Harvey) Quin, are both natives of South Carolina, but were married in this State in 1842, and followed farming in Carroll County until 1884, when they moved to Lafayette County, Miss., and engaged in the hotel business; then they returned and are still living in McKenzie. They had four sons and eight daughters; one son and seven daughters are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Quin are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

BRIANT, Alfred

Alfred Briant, farmer and old resident of Huntingdon, was born in Spartanburg District, South Carolina, 1809, and is the son of Reuben and Nancy (Tolerson) Briant. The father was of Irish descent; he was born in Virginia, and followed farming. In his youth he went to South Carolina, where he married and remained until his career ended. He died at the advanced age of one hundred and three years, about 1870. His wife, Nancy Tolerson, was born in South Carolina; she died in 1813, at the age of about thirty-five. By this union they had ten children. Mr. Briant was married three times, and was the father of fourteen children.

Alfred is the youngest child by his first wife; he was reared at home, receiving a common school education, and made his home with his father until he was nineteen years of age. January 18, 1831, he married Miss Polly Stone, daughter of Aaron and Susanah Stone. Mrs. Briant was born in 1810, in the same district and State as her husband. By this union they had these children: Gardner M., who lives in California; Thomas J. (who in died May 15, 1886, at the age of forty-one; he was town marshal of Huntingdon for twelve years and occupied that position at the time of his death); Sarah A., widow of R. J. Johnson; Aaron R., Reuben A., Albert D., David B.; William H., who was killed by a falling tree near Huntingdon, at the age of sixteen years, and an infant (deceased).

In 1838 Mr. Briant left his native State and immigrated to Carroll County, W. Tenn. He bought 400 acres in the Second District, and lived there until 1858 when he came to Huntingdon, bought 152 acres on the outskirts of the city, where he located and now resides. Mr. Briant is one of the substantial and influential citizens of Carroll County. Previous to his coming to Tennessee he was constable for several years. In 1841 he was elected magistrate and served for six years; was deputy sheriff several years previous to the year 1852. In 1852 he was elected tax collector of Carroll County, and served two years; in 1858 was elected sheriff of Carroll County, and 1860 was re-elected and served until the breaking out of the war, when he became one of the “boys in gray.” He organized Company H, Fifty-fifth Regiment, Tennessee Infantry and Mr. Briant was elected captain of the company. He led his men at Island No. 10, and numerous severe skirmishes. At Island No. 10 he was captured and made prisoner of war. He was taken to Camp Chase, Ohio, thence to Johnson’s Island where he was retained until September 1862, when he was taken to Vicksburg, exchanged, and being honorably discharged returned home. In 1870 he was again elected as sheriff and held the position two years. Capt. Briant is highly esteemed for his sterling qualities and honesty of purpose. During the many years he has been a resident of the county he has always proved to be a man above reproach, and his character without blemish. He is well to do financially, owning 360 acres in the county, and several houses and lots in Huntingdon. In politics he is a Democrat, casting his first vote for H. Clay in 1832. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and lie and wife are members of the U. O. of G. C. and Methodist Episcopal Church South.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.