GREEN, James B.

JAMES B. GREEN, of the firm of Green & McGill, dealers in groceries and provisions, was born in Bedford County, Tenn., January 20, 1856, being a son of Blount G. and Salina F. (Stewart) Green.  Blount G. Green was born October 14, 1815.  His father, William Green, came to Bedford County in 1808 with his parents.  William Green was married in 1811 to Miss Sarah PhillipsBlount G. has always been a farmer and has been very successful, now owning 1,121 acres of land in Bedford County.  He was married, in 1841, to Miss Salina F. Stewart, the result of this union being eleven children, viz.: Canzada P., Mary E., Nancy C., Susan C. E., Emily J., Lewis D., Samuel E., James B., Harriet F., Tennessee A. and Thomas B.  Three of the family have died, viz. : Canzada P., Thomas B. and Emily J.  Mr. Blount Green is one of the prominent farmers of the county, and has been identified with the public offices of the county.

James B. was reared on a farm and secured a common school education.  At the age of twenty-one he began farming for himself, and continued till 1881, when he engaged at clerking in a grocery store for a short time. He then went back to farming.  In December, 1885, he began his present occupation, and has since done a good business in the grocery line.  He was married, May 10, 1883, to Mrs. Tennie (McGill) Gallaher, daughter of W. M. McGill, Esq., of this county.  The wife is the mother of one child, Mary Gallagher, by her former marriage, and has borne two children to her union with Mr. Green, viz.: Jessie B. and James FMr. Green and wife are members of the Christian Church. He takes no very active interest in political affairs, but is an energetic and respected business man.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.