Mrs. M. J. LACKEY, widow of the late J. W. LACKEY, was born in 1827, in Blount County. She is the fourth of eight children of JOHN and ANN (GILLISPIE) RUSSELL. She married J. W. LACKEY in 1849. He was a son of JAMES and JANE LACKEY, who were born and raised in Roane County, Tenn. JAMES LACKEY was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was a justice of the peace many years and gave universal satisfaction.
J. W. LACKEY received a collegiate education. When twenty-three years old, he was thrown upon his own resources, a poor man, and what he was worth at his death was accumulated by his own energy and practical business ability. At his death, besides having given considerable land to each of his children, he owned a fine farm of 400 acres, under a good state of cultivation, and located on the Tennessee River, eleven miles west of Maryville.
MR. LACKEY was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, till his death, as is also Mrs. LACKEY, who is still a member of the same church. To Mr. & Mrs. LACKEY nine children were born: John Russell (deceased), James Monroe (deceased), Laura (now Mrs. T. W. KELLER), William (deceased), Jane (now Mrs. A. C. MONTGOMERY), Annie (deceased), one deceased in infancy, Matilda M., (now Mrs. O. B. PRATER), and Samuel A. Mr. LACKEY died in 1879, since which time Mrs. LACKEY has managed the affairs of her farm, and lived with her children. Mrs. LACKEY has given her children the advantages of a good education. One of her sons, Samuel L A., is now attending Sweet Water College.
Source: Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.