BLOUNT, John G.

John G. Blount, farmer and cotton dealer of the Fourteenth District, and son of Isaac and Lovey Blount, was born in Carroll County, Tenn., in 1821, and is one of a family of ten children, six of whom are living. The father was born in North Carolina about 1781, and was of English lineage. At the age of eighteen he commenced the life of a sailor, and followed this for about twenty-five years. When thirty-five. years of age he married, and in about 1815 immigrated to Carroll County, being one of its very early settlers. He established a grist-mill in what is now Benton County, and afterward built one on Blount’s Creek, named in his honor. He assisted in building the first courthouse in Carroll County, and was one of the very first magistrates of that county. At the time of his death, which occurred about 1871, he was ninety sears of age and the owner of a good farm. The mother was also born in North Carolina, about the same time as her husband, and died soon after his death.

Our subject received a fair education, and at the age of twenty-five years married Miss B. Brewer, by whom he had three children: Wiley W., Larcena (Mrs. M. A. Sanders) and Aquilie (Mrs. C. J. Bruce). Mr. Blount then settled in the Fourteenth District on a farm of about 200 acres, where he has since resided, and which he has increased to 1,400 acres. He is now one of the most extensive landholders in the Fourteenth District. Mrs. Blount died about 1856, and in the following year Mr. Blount married Miss Keziah A. Brewer, sister of the first wife. By this union they had four children—three now living: Josephine (Mrs. Paley Rosser), Frances Elizabeth (Mrs. James Rosser) and Lovey L. (Mrs. Barney Bruce), deceased. Mrs. Blount died about 1868, and in 1870 our subject married Mrs. Winnie R. King, daughter of Noah Hampton, by whom he had two children: Isaac C. and Rosena. Soon after the war Mr. Blount was elected to the office of constable, but soon after resigned. He was formerly a Whig in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay in 1844. He is a Mason, and Mrs. Blount is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.