J. D. Moore, an enterprising farmer, was born in North Carolina in 1840, son of A. W. and Nancy Moore. The father was born in North Carolina in 1813, and followed the occupation of an overseer. In the spring of 1844 he came to Tennessee and located in Carroll County. He died in 1852. The mother was also a native of North Carolina and a few years younger than her husband. She died in 1844.
Our subject was reared by his grandmother Moore, received his education in the schools near home and at the Caledonia Institute, Henry County. April, 1866, he married Mary Townes, who was born in 1843, and who died in 1873, leaving four children: Stephen H., James A., Robert S. and Mary A. In 1874 Mr. Moore married Mrs. Mattie A. Henderson, who was born in 1841. By this union they had three children: Eliza B., A. R. and Dennis V. In 1872 Mr. Moore located at the place where he is now residing. He owns 100 acres of excellent land, situated two miles southwest of Lavinia. He is a Democrat in politics, a Mason, and he and wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by David Donahue
Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.