PATTERSON, Houston

Houston PATTERSON, farmer and stock dealer, was born in his present residence, the oldest brick house in the county, from which the Fourth District takes its name, on December 25, 1843, the son of James M. and Margaret P. (Fulkerson) PATTERSON, the former born near Philadelphia, April 18, 1798, and the latter born in Lee County, Va., in 1805, and deceased in Claiborne County in 1879.  Both were Presbyterians.  The father came to Tennessee at an early date, and began farming and stock raising, and his estate is the largest in this county.  

Our subject, the fifth of six children, remained with his father until 1861, when he joined Company C., Twenty-ninth Tennessee Confederate Infantry.  He was wounded three times; was made lieutenant, put in command, and made commander of five companies, serving until the surrender, in North Carolina.  Since the war he has been engaged in his present business.

August 18, 1873, he married Emma B. CAMPBELL, of Washington County, Va.,  Of one son and five daughters, one of the latter is deceased.  Our subject is an influential man.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.