H. C. Lawhon, the editor of the Tri-County News, was born March 21, 1850, and is one of a family of six children born to F. E. and Miranda (Martin) Lawhon, our subject and a sister being the only surviving members. His father was a Virginian, and his mother a North Carolinian; both moved to Sumner County, Tenn., when young, were married there, and soon after moved to Weakley County in about 1838, his mother dying there in 1850, his father then moving to Arkansas, where he followed farming, and where he died in 1856.
Our subject after his father’s death lived with his brother in Dyer County, Tenn., and had the benefit of limited educational advantages. In 1863 he enlisted in the Twelfth Kentucky Confederate Cavalry, with which he remained until the close of the war; he then engaged in mining in Colorado until 1880, when he returned to Arkansas, and embarked in journalism, continuing in the business there until 1884, when he moved to McKenzie, Tenn., and succeeded J. B. Gilbert in the publication of the Tri-County News, which he has since edited and controlled. In 1884 he married Miss Ella Allen, daughter of Rev. W. J. F. Allen, and has had three daughters, two of whom are living. Mr. Lawhon is an Episcopalian and Mrs. Lawhon a Baptist.
Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.