G. J. Adams was born in Halifax County of the Old Dominion, in December, 1826, one of four children born to Meads and Jane (Irby) Adams, who were born in Virginia, in 1799 and 1807, respectively. They were married and reared their family in their native county. The father was a stone mason by trade, and died in 1832. The mother departed this life in 1858.
Our subject was reared by his relatives and was educated in the common schools. At the age of fourteen he began working in the foundry of Geo. Avery. October 23, 1850, he married Armon E., daughter of Joseph and Mary Fuqua. Mrs. Adams was born in Halifax County, Va., June 12, 1833, and became the mother of six children: James A., Joseph M., George W., William E., T. H. and C. D. After his marriage, Mr. Adams and J. P. Fuqua, his wife’s brother, built the first foundry ever erected in Carroll County.
They continued to do business together until after the war, then our subject disposed of his interest to Mr. Fuqua, and began farming. He owns about 700 acres of very fine land, 500 acres being under cultivation. Mr. Adams is a good business man, and is well respected by all who know him. He is a Democrat but was formerly a member of the Whig party. He is also a Mason.
Transcribed by David Donahue
Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.