Dr. E. E. HUNTER, of Elizabethton, was born in Washington County, Tenn., October 10, 1845, the son of Joseph and Maranda (Harris) HUNTER. His father was a farmer by profession, and was born in 1808, and died in August, 1885. His mother was horn in 1812, the daughter of Dr. John HARRIS, a most celebrated physician, and minister of the Methodist Church. The mother died in 1863. Our subject is the youngest son of eight children, four sons and four daughters. When seventeen he attended school at Jonesboro for three years and afterward at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. After spending some time in Illinois he returned to Jonesboro, and in 1869 began the study of medicine under the celebrated Dr. SEVIER. In 1870-71 he attended the medical department of the University of Tennessee. In March, 1871, he began the practice of medicine in Washington County, Tenn.
He was married September 19, 1871, to Miss Mollie JOBE, a daughter of Dr. JOBE, of Elizabethton, Tenn., and their union has been blessed with seven children. He and his wife belong to the Methodist Church South. He removed to Elizabethton in March, 1877, and there resumed the practice of his profession, and in the same year purchased an interest in the Doe River Woolen Mills, the first establishment of the kind in East Tennessee. In 1885 he attended and graduated at the Kentucky School of Medicine. In August, 1885, he was appointed United States medical examiner, and was placed on the Johnson City board, of which he is president.
Transcribed by Kris L. Martin
Source: Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.