Douglas S. ANDERSON, dealer in stoves, tinware, furniture and gas and steam fittings, was born in Haywood County, twelve miles northwest of Brownsville, October 6, 1856, and is the son of Dr. H. Clopton and Almira A. (CHERRY) Anderson, natives respectively of Virginia and North Carolina. Our subject remained on the farm during youth and attended the common schools. In 1874 he finished his education at Bethel College, at Russellville, Ky., and abandoning agricultural pursuits engaged in the merchandise business at Toulon, Tenn., in Haywood County, with his brother, H. C. Anderson, where he remained until 1886, after which he came to Brownsville and engaged in his present business. He is also engaged in farming near Toulon, and has bed with evident success.
He is one of the county’s most substantial citizens and is a prosperous and successful young man. September 7, 1881, he was married to Betty J. HARVEY, daughter of Col. William P. and Annie M. Harvey, of Haywood County. Our subject is a Democrat and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.