BRIGHT, Aaron D. (Judge)

Judge Aaron D. BRIGHT, attorney at law, of Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Hinds County, Miss, August 10, 1838, son of Aaron D., and Mary G. (WILLIAMS) Bright, natives of North Carolina. The father came to Haywood County, Tenn., in 1832, and located on a farm five miles southeast of Brownsville. In 1836, he removed to Mississippi, where he died in 1840. His widow then returned to Haywood county, where she has since resided.

Our subject was educated Emory and Henry College in Virginia, and East Tennessee University at Knoxville. He left the later institution in 1860, and upon the breaking out of the war, enlisted in the army of Northern Virginia, and serving one year, joined the cavalry service as provost-marshal, serving thus with the rank of captain until the surrender. Previous to the war, he had studied law and engaged in the practice of his profession after his return home. In May, 1883, he was appointed to a position on the referee county, at Jackson, Tenn., and filled that position ably for two years.

October 24, 1867, he married Miss Adelaide R. RIVES, of Fayette County, Tenn., and by her is the father of three sons and two daughters: Prentiss, Aaron D., Mary and Lillie, and Henry Livingston (deceased). Judge Bright is a Democrat in politics and a member of the A. O. U. W., and G. R. fraternities. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he has been an officer of the church and chairman of the board on finance of the Memphis conference for a number of years.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

DEES, James E.

James E. DEES, county court clerk, of Decaturville, was born in Shelby County, Tenn., April 8, 1852. His parents, Green and Martha C. (Lockhart) DEES, were both natives of Anson County. N.C., from which State he moved to Tennessee, Shelby County, near the line of Marshall County, Miss., where our subject was born, and finally settled in Decatur County, in 1852, where he now resides, is by occupation a farmer and planter. Of a family of nine children, four sons and two daughters are living. The mother departed this life in January, 1874.

James E. DEES was brought up on a farm, therefore accustomed to an active life. He received an excellent, practical education at Decaturville, and a year’s instruction at the Tennessee University at Knoxville. November 20, 1884, he married Miss Mary A. YARBRO, daughter of John T. YARBRO, of Decatur County. Mr. DEES is a strong Democrat of good standing with his party, was elected clerk of the county court in August, 1882, and has remained in the office since that time. He is a worthy and affable gentleman, enjoying the esteem of an extensive circle of friends and acquaintances. — Transcribed by David Donahue

History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, Mcnairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

WHITTEMORE, William H. (Dr.)

DR. WILLIAM H. WHITTEMORE, of Haley, was born October 6, 1853, in Davidson County, Tenn.  His father, William B. Whittemore, was a native of the same county and is of Scotch-Irish descent.  He is a prominent farmer of that county, and married  Nancy E. Hays, a native of Davidson County and daughter of John Hays.  To this union were born ten children, our subject being the eldest.  The father and mother are both living.

The Doctor was educated at Franklin College, near Nashville, where he graduated in 1869.  He received his medical education in the medical department of the University of Tennessee, from which institution he graduated in 1878, and then commenced the practice of his profession at Antioch, Davidson Co., Tenn.  Here he remained two years and then moved to Nashville, and was elected as county health officer, and held this position three years.  He then moved to HaIey, Bedford Co., Tenn., where he continues the practice of medicine and has already established an extensive practice.

November 8, 1882, he married Miss Georgia M. Tolmie, a native of the city of Nashville and daughter of Alexander McD. Tolmie, a prominent citizen and machinist of that city, who ran the first engine that was run on the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, and was for a long time master mechanic of that road.  To Dr. W. H. Whittemore and wife was born one child, Maggie T.  The Doctor is a member of the K. of H. and the Iron Hall.  He is a Democrat and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.  Mrs. Whittemore is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

THOMPSON, W.E.A.

W. E. A. THOMPSON, A. B., a native of Bedford County, Tenn., was born Nov. 28, 1848.  His father was a licensed preacher in the Methodist Church, but having an affection of the throat was obliged to give up his ministerial duties and engage in farming.  His mother was Ellen C. (Williams) Thompson.

Our subject remained with his parents on the farm until he was twenty-one years of age, attending school when he could be conveniently spared from the farm.  In the fall of 1869 he taught school at Mount Zion, Bedford County, and in 1870 clerked in a dry goods house at Unionville.  The spring of 1871 he spent in school at Chapel Hill and spent the fall at Unionville in the same manner.  Early in 1872 he entered the Tennessee University, where he graduated in 1874 with the degree of A. B.  He chose teaching as his profession and began work at Unionville, his native village.  In the summer of 1875 he left Unionville and taught five months at Middleton, Rutherford County.  In the spring of 1876 he accepted the principalship of the Center Grove High School, where he is engaged at the present writing.

December 26, 1876, he wedded Nannie Floyd, of this county, and by her became the father of four children:  Benjamin H., Mary G., Annie E. and Ellen F.  Our subject is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and is a man of good social standing and influence in this section.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

TRICE, John H.

John H. TRICE, farmer and citizen of District No. 4, was born in McNairy County, November 7, 1860, and is one of two children, only our subject now living, born to the union of John H. and Susan (Anderson) TRICE. The father was born in Henderson County about 1832 and was of Scotch-English ancestry. He was married, in 1858, and settled in what is now Chester County, where he was engaged in farming. He was elected to the office of magistrate at the age of twenty-two and was holding this position at the time of his death, which occurred December 8, 1881. The mother was born in McNairy County about 1834, and is now living in Madison County. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. John C. TRICE, grandfather of our subject, was a native of North Carolina, born in 1804. He came to Henderson County about 1822 and located near Jacks Creek, in 1824. He is still a resident of that county.

John H., our subject, received his early education at Medon, afterward at Jackson College and finished at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He spent several years of his early life as clerk in a mercantile house and in January, 1883, he married Lessie CAWTHORN, a native of Chester County, born in 1861,and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Her parents are John L. and Martha CAWTHORN. Mr. TRICE owns 800 acres of as fine land as is to be found in the county. He is one of the county’s most enterprising citizens and is a Democrat in politics having cast his first presidential vote for Grover CLEVELAND.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

HUNTER, E.E. (Dr.)

Dr. E. E. HUNTER, of Elizabethton, was born in Washington County, Tenn., October 10, 1845, the son of Joseph and Maranda (Harris) HUNTER. His father was a farmer by profession, and was born in 1808, and died in August, 1885. His mother was horn in 1812, the daughter of Dr. John HARRIS, a most celebrated physician, and minister of the Methodist Church. The mother died in 1863. Our subject is the youngest son of eight children, four sons and four daughters. When seventeen he attended school at Jonesboro for three years and afterward at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. After spending some time in Illinois he returned to Jonesboro, and in 1869 began the study of medicine under the celebrated Dr. SEVIER. In 1870-71 he attended the medical department of the University of Tennessee. In March, 1871, he began the practice of medicine in Washington County, Tenn.

He was married September 19, 1871, to Miss Mollie JOBE, a daughter of Dr. JOBE, of Elizabethton, Tenn., and their union has been blessed with seven children. He and his wife belong to the Methodist Church South. He removed to Elizabethton in March, 1877, and there resumed the practice of his profession, and in the same year purchased an interest in the Doe River Woolen Mills, the first establishment of the kind in East Tennessee. In 1885 he attended and graduated at the Kentucky School of Medicine. In August, 1885, he was appointed United States medical examiner, and was placed on the Johnson City board, of which he is president.

 

Transcribed by Kris L. Martin


Source: Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

McGILL, H.D.

H. D. McGill, M.D., was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in 1858 and is one of a family of eight children born to E. T. and Sarah (Meals) McGill. The father was born in Giles County, October, 1825 and was of Scotch-Irish extraction. He was reared on a farm by a Mr. William Legg, of Alabama, and had no advantages for an education. In 1849 he was married and December of the same year removed to Henderson County. He was engaged in the mercantile business for many years at Metropolis, Huntingdon and other places and also dealt somewhat largely in cotton. In 1870 he went to Nashville and engaged in the cotton business there for McCray & Co. He is now acting as traveling salesman for a firm in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Our subject received a good academia education and finished at Nashville. In 1875 he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. B. Stephens, of Nashville, and in 1877 entered Nashville Medical College and graduated from this institution in 1878. He soon located at McLemoresville and practiced there two years, after which he came to Clarksburg and has continued there ever since. In 1884 and 1885 he attended a course of lectures at the University of Tennessee where he graduated in 1885. Since his residence at Clarksburg he has established an extensive and lucrative practice and is fast becoming one of the most popular and successful physicians of the county. January 12, 1881, he married Gracie McDowell, daughter of Rev. J. L. and M. S. McDowell. Mrs. McGill died September 29, 1885, leaving three small children: Arthur, Maggie May and Gracie M. Mrs. McGill was a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a fond parent and a true companion. Our subject is a Republican in politics and cast his first presidential vote for Gen. Garfield.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

COX, James B.

James B. Cox, M.D. was born in Carroll County, Tenn., near Hollow Rock, December 20, 1856, son of Green D. and Mary P. (Williams) Cox who are natives of West Tennessee. Our subject is the fifth in a family of ten children and his early years were spent on the farm and in attending the country schools, and West Tennessee Seminary at Hollow Rock. He began the study of medicine in 1876 at Hollow Rock under the direction of W. A. McCall, who died in 1879. He also attended medical lectures at the University of Tennessee, and graduated in 1878. The same year he located at Hollow Rock and there practiced his profession until 1885 when he came to Huntingdon and formed a partnership with Dr. J. W. McCall. In 1882 and 1883 he attended lectures at Bellevue Hospital Medical College at New York City. He is an uncompromising Republican in politics and cast his first presidential vote for James A. Garfield. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is one of the prominent and successful young physicians of West Tennessee.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.