BAIN, Sam C.D. (Dr.)

Dr. Sam. C. D. BAIN, farmer and physician of the Tenth District, was born in Sumner County, February 14, 1831, and was one of ten children born to John R. and Sarah E. Bain. The father was born in North Carolina in 1793, and moved with his parents to Tennessee when a child. They located first in East Tennessee, then moved to Sumner County. He was a Presbyterian minister, and also engaged in teaching; he died in 1868. His mother’s maiden name was CROCKETT. She was a distant relative of David Crockett, and was born in Williamson County in 1801, and died in 1878.

Dr. Bain was educated at the Nashville University, and remained in that city until the close of the war. In 1851 he commenced reading medicine under Drs. Watson and Briggs, at the same time attending lectures at the medical university, and graduated in 1854, and the same year married Miss Delphine HALL, who was born in Giles County in 1836, and died in 1877. The had two children: J. Watson and Josie (wife of Baldwin LUCAS).

Dr. Bain moved to Haywood County in 1857, and located where he now lives; he has had an extensive practice, and also engaged in farming, owning 640 acres of good land. In 1878 he married Miss Emma GRIFFIN, daughter of A. J. and Lean Griffin. Mrs. Bain was a native of Mississippi. Hugh, ages seven years; Ethel, aged five years; Emma May, aged three years, and Maunsel, aged about three months, are the children blessing their union. Dr. Bain is a Democrat and a Mason.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

RUTLEDGE Sr., John W.

JOHN W. RUTLEDGE, SR., one of Bedford County’s farmers, was born January 12, 1823, in Bedford County, being a son of John and Sarah Davenport Rutledge, natives of South Carolina.  The parents were married in their native State and came to Bedford County in the very early settlement of the county.  John W. was reared on a farm and secured but a common school education, the schools then being in an undeveloped condition.  He began farming for himself when grown, and at the age of twenty-seven married.  He continued to farm and deal in live-stock extensively.  He now owns 108 acres of land, with seventy-five acres under cultivation.

He was married November 22, 1849, to Eunice M. Warner, daughter of John and Eunice (Dixon) Warner, natives of North Carolina.  They came to Sumner County, Tenn., when small, and thence to Bedford County, where they lived and died.  The father was born in 1783, and the mother in 1792; they were married November 11, 1810.  The father was a sheriff of Bedford County for many years; he was a farmer by occupation.  He died May 17, 1834, and the mother died October 2. 1852.

Mr. and Mrs. Rutledge are parents of four children, viz.:  John G., who died young; Warner G.; Eunice M., the wife of Thomas L. Thompson, and John W.  All the family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and all are Democrats in politics.  Warner G. Rutledge was married December 4, 1874, to Miss Julia L. Phillips who died January 16, 1876, after becoming the mother of a child, Julia L., who also died July 16, 1876.  He is store-keeper and gauger in the revenue service in the Middle and West Divisions of Tennessee.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

PEARSON, Granville C.

GRANVILLE C. PEARSON, farmer, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., July 20, 1831, son of Hiram and Matilda B. (Wilson) Pearson, and of English descent.  The father was born in Pittsylvania County, Va., April 9, 1797, and in the year 1819 he wedded Matilda Wilson, who was born in Sumner County, Tenn., May 12, 1802.  The father died November 29, 1876, and the mother February 14, 1877.  To this worthy couple were born ten children, our subject being the sixth.  The Pearson family was among the early settlers of Tennessee, the father of our subject having settled in Rutherford County in 1818.

Our subject received a fair education in the common schools, and at the breaking out of the late war he enlisted in the Confederate Army, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, under Col. Starnes.  He took an active part in the battles of Chickamauga, Knoxville, Resaca and other actions.  He was with Gen. Forrest when he captured the large Federal forces under command of Gen. Straight, and was a member of Jefferson Davis escort from Raleigh, N. C. to Washington, Ga.  He has now in his possession eighteen Mexican silver dollars of the coinage of 1861, which were paid to him by the order of President Davis for services in the army.  These he prized very highly as relics of that memorable struggle.  Our subject has a fine farm of 110 acres, on which he lived, surrounded with the general comforts of life.  He devotes the principal part of his time and attention to raising fine stock – horses, cattle and mules.  The father of our subject was among the most enterprising stock raisers of his locality, owning oat one time 500 acres of land, but lost heavily in the war.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

LAWHON, H.C.

H. C. Lawhon, the editor of the Tri-County News, was born March 21, 1850, and is one of a family of six children born to F. E. and Miranda (Martin) Lawhon, our subject and a sister being the only surviving members. His father was a Virginian, and his mother a North Carolinian; both moved to Sumner County, Tenn., when young, were married there, and soon after moved to Weakley County in about 1838, his mother dying there in 1850, his father then moving to Arkansas, where he followed farming, and where he died in 1856.

Our subject after his father’s death lived with his brother in Dyer County, Tenn., and had the benefit of limited educational advantages. In 1863 he enlisted in the Twelfth Kentucky Confederate Cavalry, with which he remained until the close of the war; he then engaged in mining in Colorado until 1880, when he returned to Arkansas, and embarked in journalism, continuing in the business there until 1884, when he moved to McKenzie, Tenn., and succeeded J. B. Gilbert in the publication of the Tri-County News, which he has since edited and controlled. In 1884 he married Miss Ella Allen, daughter of Rev. W. J. F. Allen, and has had three daughters, two of whom are living. Mr. Lawhon is an Episcopalian and Mrs. Lawhon a Baptist.


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

GUIN, H.D.

Dr. H. D. Guin was born in October, 1829, in Carroll County, Tenn., and is one of two sons and one daughter, surviving members of a family of five children, born to Edward and Margaret (Bowden) Guin. The father was born in Sumner County, Tenn., in February, 1799. The mother was from North Carolina. Both moved to Carroll County when young. The mother taught school in the county before they were married, in the old primitive school building with dirt floor. They were married in 1824, and kept a hotel at the present site of Huntingdon, from 1824 to 1827, it being the first hotel of Carroll County. He was also first county court clerk of the county, holding the office a number of terms. In 1832 he located on a farm in Carroll County, and remained there until their death, the mother dying in 1873, and the father in 1874.

Dr. H. D. Guin graduated at Princeton, Ky., and then graduated in medicine at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, and practiced his profession at his father’s residence, from 1856 until the commencement of the war. He then enlisted in the Twenty-second Tennessee Infantry, and at the organization was appointed assistant surgeon, remaining in this position until the disorganization at the battle of Shiloh, when he was detailed to hospital service for six months; he was then assigned the duties of surgeon in the Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry, and was afterward surgeon of Johnson’s brigade, with which he remained until the close of the war, when he returned to his home, and in 1866 embarked in the drug trade, and resumed the practice of medicine at McKenzie, Tenn., which he still continues. He has a good stock farm of 600 acres, five miles south of McKenzie, well supplied by several good springs of freestone water; there are also Indian mounds on the place. In September, 1877, Dr. Guin married Sarah E. Bomac, by which marriage he had three sons and one daughter, all now living.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

DEMENT, J.A.

J.A. Dement, an enterprising farmer of the First District, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., in 1823. He was the only son of Cader and Mary (Andrews) Dement. The father was born in Tennessee in 1777. He took part in the war of 1812 under Gen. Jackson. He was a farmer by occupation, but filled some minor political offices. He was well known and universally respected. He was three times married and raised thirteen children. His death occurred in 1849.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the schools of his native county. In 1847 he married Margaret, daughter of Alexander Lockey of Rutherford County. She died in 1851. A few years later our subject wedded Miss Jane J., daughter of Rev. E. McMillian of Gallatin, Tenn. By this union there are three children living: Mattie (widow of D. Hogwood), Albert M. and Wilson M. In 1847 Mr. Dement located where he now resides. He has always been an energetic, worthy citizen and a generous supporter of all laudable enterprises. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for fifty years; his wife belongs to the same church. He is a Democrat, but was a Whig previous to the war.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.