DOUGLAS, J.E.

J. E. DOUGLAS, a resident and farmer of the Second District, was born in 1829 in Wilson County, and is the son of Hon. Burchett Douglass, who was born October 6, 1793, and died July 31, 1849. He was one of the prominent politicians of his day; was a member of the Whig party, which he represented a number of times in the State Legislature, and was at one time speaker of the House. He was a very popular man, and during twenty years of public life never was defeated, and for many years he was president of the m\bank of Somerville, Fayette County.

Our subject’s mother was Martha McGEE, born in Wilson County; she was the daughter of Rev. John McGee. As his father was engaged so much in politics, J. E. Douglass remained on the farm until twenty-four years of age; he then went to Mississippi and farmed two years, when he returned and remained with his father until he died, when he bought a steam, grist and saw-mill near Memphis, which he ran until 1859, then came to his present farm, thirteen miles southwest of Brownsville, and three miles west of Dancyville, and engaged in the mill business, which he still continues.

Mr. Douglass was first married, in 1859, to Sarah F. PEWETT. The three children born to this marriage are dead. March 8, 1868, he married Mrs. Martha Phillips, a widow with one son — David C. Phillips. By this marriage were two children: Lena Lee, born in 1871, and Willis B., born in 1873. Dr. Douglass is a man trusted and esteemed by all, and is one of the most substantial citizens and business men of his county. In politics he is a Democrat.


Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

ALSTON, Auguston (Dr.)

Dr. Auguston ALSTON, a prominent physician of Haywood County, was born May 26, 1825, in Warren County, N. C., and is the son of Auguston and Martha (Macon) Alston, who were both Natives of North Carolina. The father died in his native State at the age of twenty-seven, and 1829 the mother married Rev. James S. SMITH, a very popular minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a native of Virginia, and a member of several years of the Virginia Conference. In 1831 Mr. and Mrs. Smith came to Haywood County, and settled ten miles north of Brownsville, where the village of Brooklyn now stands. Mr. Smith continued to preach, but never entered the itinerant work after coming to this State. He died in 1834, and Mrs. Smith in 1881.

Dr. Alston, after receiving a thorough literary education and selecting medicine as his profession, entered the medical university at Louisville; after graduating, he returned to Haywood County and commenced practicing; in 1849 he located at Brownsville and soon established an extensive practice, and for sixteen years was regarded as one of the most able and successful physicians of West Tennessee. In 1865 he went to Memphis, and was appointed clerk and master of the chancery court, which office he filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to the people, for six years. In 1871 he returned to Haywood County and purchased a farm near Brownsville, building a handsome residence on it. A unique summerhouse in the fount yard adds very much to the beauty of the place. He has named his home Haymouret.

In is political views Dr. Alston was a Whig before the war and is now a stanch Republican. While not a member of any church, he is a firm believer in the Christian religion and a regular attendant of the Methodist Church. September 15, 1847, he married Mary B. HAY, daughter of David Hay, a native of North Carolina. Dr. Alston has one daughter, who in May, 1870, married Mr. Tiff SMITH, a native of Haywood County, who died August, 1885. Judge W. M. Smith of Memphis is a half-brother of Dr. Alston’s.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

Editorial note: “Brooklyn” is now Tibbs.

DEES, James E.

James E. DEES, county court clerk, of Decaturville, was born in Shelby County, Tenn., April 8, 1852. His parents, Green and Martha C. (Lockhart) DEES, were both natives of Anson County. N.C., from which State he moved to Tennessee, Shelby County, near the line of Marshall County, Miss., where our subject was born, and finally settled in Decatur County, in 1852, where he now resides, is by occupation a farmer and planter. Of a family of nine children, four sons and two daughters are living. The mother departed this life in January, 1874.

James E. DEES was brought up on a farm, therefore accustomed to an active life. He received an excellent, practical education at Decaturville, and a year’s instruction at the Tennessee University at Knoxville. November 20, 1884, he married Miss Mary A. YARBRO, daughter of John T. YARBRO, of Decatur County. Mr. DEES is a strong Democrat of good standing with his party, was elected clerk of the county court in August, 1882, and has remained in the office since that time. He is a worthy and affable gentleman, enjoying the esteem of an extensive circle of friends and acquaintances. — Transcribed by David Donahue

History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, Mcnairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

CANNON, John T.

JOHN T. CANNON, the genial clerk of the Circuit court of Bedford County is a grandson of Clement CANNON, Sr., one of five brothers, who came from North Carolina to Williamson County, Tenn., in the first decade of this century. Clement CANNON, Sr., had five sons, the father of our subject, Henry CANNON, being one of them. Henry CANNON was born in 1812. He lived in this county till 1852, when he moved to Shelby County, Tenn., where he died in 1873, having been a farmer all his life, Of those five brothers, who came to Williamson County, four soon afterward came to Bedford County. Their father’s name was Minos CANNON and their mother was a Thompson, of Scotch-Irish descent. The mother of John T. was Sallie C. M. TILLMAN, a descendant of the Martin family, so numerously represented in the county, and a descendant of the Clay family of Kentucky. She died when John T. was but two weeks old, and he was then reared with Col. Lewis TILLMAN and other relatives.

At fourteen he began his own support and attended school on money earned by himself. He clerked in a store three years and then taught school about four years, having married at twenty-two. He then settled down to farming. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-third Tennessee, as first lieutenant, and served eighteen months. He has been farming very successfully since the war, and now owns nearly 400 acres of good land. He was elected to his office in 1878 and has efficiently served to the satisfaction of his constituents. His birth was December 7, 1835. He was married in 1857 to Narcissa SUTTON, a native of Bedford County. Mr. CANNON has a family of four children, viz.: Sallie C. M. (the wife of C. J. MOODY), Walter S., Lizzie H. and Narcissa W. All the family ware members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a Royal Arch Mason. His ancestors were old-line Whigs and he is a Democrat.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.