SCOTT, William P.

William P. SCOTT, farmer and stock dealer, was born near Knoxville, April 3, 1847, the son of Hampden S. and Rebecca (Kermer) SCOTT, the former of English stock, born in 1800 at Knoxville, and deceased in Claiborne county in February, 1885, and the latter born in Cumberland County about 1817, the daughter of John KERMER. The father came to this county in 1857, the son of Judge Edward SCOTT, and was a farmer. The mother is a Methodist. Our subject, the fourth of four children, was fairly educated and worked at home until August 27, 1875, when he married Virginia McPHERSON, of Lee County, Va. Their children are Lula A., Joseph W., Nancy C. and James P. After six years in Lee County, in farming and stock dealing, he bought his present farm, where he has so well succeeded. His wife is a Methodist, and he an esteemed man.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

Hurst & Stone

Hurst & Stone, attorneys at law, Tazewell, Tenn., practice in the courts of Claiborne County, and in the supreme court at Knoxville.  Their partnership was formed in the fall of 1885.  Members of the firm are Thomas W. STONE and E.A. HURST, both of whom reside at Tazewell.  

T.W. STONE was born in the Eighth Civil District of Claiborne County, three and one-half miles southwest of Tazewell, June 21, 1844.  His father, Thomas H. STONE, came from North Carolina to Claiborne County when he was quite a small boy, nearly eighty years ago.  He grew up on the farm, and married Mary HARPER, who was the daughter of Willis HARPER,, one of the oldest settlers in the county.  Thomas W. STONE was the ninth child of a family of eleven all but one of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and all but two of whom still live and have families.  He was raised on the farm, and his education was very limited. The war broke out while he was yet young, and before he had gone to school exceeding eighteen months altogether.  On September 16, 1862, he was conscripted by the Confederate Army, and remained with Company C., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry, until the fall of 1863, when he escaped from that army, and in February, 1864, volunteered in the Federal Army, Company H., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry. He was sergeant and clerk of his company, and remained with it until October, 1865, when he was honorably discharged.  After the war he engaged in farming, married Louvina BEELER, a daughter of Daniel and Louvina BEELER, members of the oldest families of Grainger County, December, 1867.  He lived in Grainger County two years, then came to Claiborne, where he farmed and sold goods until he was elected clerk of the circuit court of said county in 1874.  He served in this capacity one term, during which he studied law.  He obtained a license in 1878, and has, since that time, been engaged in the practice of that profession, together with mercantile and other business.  He was a member of the firm of T.W. Stone & Co., saddlers and harness makers, of Stone & Wall, and of White & Stone, merchants, of Carr & Stone and of Rogers & Stone, attorneys.  He was elected justice of the peace in August, 1882, and still holds that position; served as chairman of county court for the year 1885.  He has acquired some property, and has real estate in and near Tazewell worth some $3,500.  

He has one child, a son, by his first marriage, whom he has given a very fair education.  His wife Louvina, died in April, 1877, and he married Harriet HURT the following August, with whom he is now living.  He was chairman of the Democratic executive committee of his county from 1876 to 1884, and has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since 1872.  He was made a Master of the lodge during the year 1883.  His first wife was a member of the Methodist Church, his last is a member of the Missionary Baptist.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

CATES, Joseph H.

JOSEPH H. CATES, son of John S. and Elizabeth (Himes) CATES, was born March 22, 1827. His father was born in 1808, near Knoxville, Tenn., and was given a limited education in the country schools. He chose farming for his occupation. He was also a stone-mason and worked at this trade for a number or years in Bedford County. He was the father of eleven children, viz.: Mary A., John R., Martha J., Daniel E., Joseph H., James P., Giles P., Phenettie F., Sadie R., Jestinie E. and Caldonia C. James and Giles P. are dead. The father, John S. CATES, died June 1, 1880. He was a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and was highly respected by the community, being a man of high integrity.

Our subject grew to manhood on the farm, was education in the country schools and is a farmer and stone-mason. In 1879 he was married to Miss Levina OAKLEY, and two children blessed the union: John S. and William P., both living. Mr. CATES and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The family are well respected in the county.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

TOOF, F.P.

F. P. TOOF, manufacturer of cotton goods, Rockford, Blount Co., Tenn., was born April 2, 1857, in Salisbury, Litchfield Co., Conn., and when nine years old moved to Slatersville, R. I. He worked in various cotton factories throughout New England until nineteen years of age. He then went to Nashville, Tenn., and became overseer of several factories there. In the spring of 1880 he went to Atlanta and had the supervision of the Atlanta Cotton Mills’ weaving department, when he then bought a half interest in the Rockford Cotton Mills, in partnership with H. M. WILSON, of Knoxville, under the firm name of F. P. TOOF & Co. Since March, 1887, he has been sole owner. He has more than doubled the capacity of the mills and increased their business.

February 18, 1880, he married Mary WHITE, of Nashville since her infancy, but born in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their children are Edward and Catherine E. Mrs. TOOF is a Catholic, and of Italian descent, while our subject’s ancestors are of Holland stock, and have been residents of New York State for over two centuries. He is a Knight of Pythias and a Mason. He is a self-made man, who has educated himself by home reading and study. He began work, when nine years old, in the famous Forestdale Manufacturing Company’s factory at Slatersville, R. I., and he has gained his all by his own energetic efforts and abilities. He is a staunch Democrat, so reared from the cradle. He was made postmaster in the fall of 1885.

Source: Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

PARHAM, W.T.

W. T. PARHAM, proprietor of the Maryville Woolen-Mills, was born in Knoxville, Tenn., in February. 1833. Since September, 1865, he has been in Maryville, first in the mercantile trade; but after his purchase of the grist and woolen-mills, in 1876, he has, since April, 1877, been sole manager of the same. They have three looms, one set of forty-inch cards, and 260 spindles, but he now has forty-four looms and 908 spindles, using both steam and water-power, manufacturing jeans, linseys, cassimeres, flannels, blankets and yarns – the first mentioned being a specialty; and with such a reputation that his sales are now a year in advance. The first year of his management he consumed 7,000 pounds of wool; the second year, 13,000 pounds; in 1886, 120,000 pounds, and in 1877 about 150,000 pounds, the carding and spinning departments being operated day and night. He employs about sixty hands. From 1848 to 1853 he worked at the harness trade in Knoxville, and until 1861 in mercantile life in the same place. He then conducted a store at Danville, Ky., and one at Clarksville, Tennessee for two years. He then sold goods at Knoxville until he came to Maryville.

In 1858 he married M. J. SNODDY, a native of Knox County. Seven of their nine children are living. She died in December, 1882. His father, E. N., resides in Knox County, and is a native of North Carolina. From his youth he has followed merchandising in Knox County, but retired from active business in 1878. The mother, Mary (DUNN), is a native of Sevier County. Our subject is the eldest child of one son and four daughters, two of the latter being deceased. His ancestors are of English descent.

Source: Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

KELLER, T.W.

T. W. KELLER, marble quarry-man and farmer, in Blount County, resides in Knoxville, and was born July 28, 1852, in Knox County. He received his education at Ewing and Jefferson College, graduating in 1869. He was thrown upon his own resources, when eighteen, and first accepted the position of general agent and salesman for all kinds of agricultural implements, in East Tennessee. After four years, he began merchandising at Louisville, superintending the farm at the same time. With the exception of a farm from his wife’s property, he has accumulated all he has, by his own efforts.

April 1, 1873, he married LAURA, a daughter of J. W. and M. J. LACKEY. Their children are ERNEST RUSSELL, MARY M., LENA L., MAUD and R. HOWARD. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he has been ruling elder for twelve years. He is a Democrat, first voting for Tilden. He is a Master Mason, and also an Odd Fellow. He is the sixth of seven children of Frank F. and Mary A. (Crozier) KELLER, The former born in Tuscumbia, Ala., and the latter in Knoxville. The father was a success as a farmer, of Scotch-Irish descent. Capt. CROZIER, the maternal grandfather, was born in Ireland and came to Knoxville when a young man. The Keller family are distantly related to Robert BRUCE, of Scotland, and are related to Gen. Robert E. LEE. Our subject is interested in extensive quarries, in Knox and Blount Counties, and is a highly esteemed and respected man.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

HARPER, A.K.

A. K. HARPER is the leading merchant of Blount County, and was reared on a farm in Knox County, where he was born in 1853. He remained at home until sixteen or seventeen years old, then accepted a clerkship with G. L. POWELL, of Knoxville, eight years; then came to Maryville, and conducted a general mercantile trade for H. L. BRADLEY & Co., three years, then purchased the stock of goods, and has since conducted a lucrative business. His trade is rapidly increasing and including the grain trade amounts annually to nearly $75,000. In 1875 he married Jennie WALKER, a native of Knox County, to whom one son, Eddie F., was born. Mrs. HARPER, nee WALKER, died in 1876.

In 1882 our subject married Dora REAGAN, a native of Monroe County, to whom three children have been born. A. K., the subject of this sketch, the first-born of four sons and two daughters of James and Elizabeth (KNOTT) HARPER. The father was born in Knox County, and still resides there. His parents came to that county from Virginia.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

EDMONDSON, M.H.

M. H. EDMONDSON, Sheriff of Blount County, was born in this county, in 1849. He was reared on a farm, and educated at Friendsville, this county. He followed agricultural pursuits until appointed deputy sheriff, by R. B. McREYNOLDS, in 1876. In 1882 he was elected to his present office, and is now serving his third term. In 1879 he married S. E. COKER, a native of Knox County. Of their seven children, four sons and one daughter are living.

His father, John, is a native of this county, and has always followed farming in the Sixth District. The mother, Margaret (DUNLAP), also of this county, died in 1884. Our subject is the fifth child of four sons and two daughters, the two latter being both deceased. At the beginning of the war, our subject’s brothers went to Illinois, and joined the Ninety-eighth Illinois Mounted Infantry, with which J. P. EDMONDSON served until the close, and then returned home, and made up a company, of which he became captain, for Gov. BROWNLOW’S militia. J. C. and W. H. EDMONDSON were discharged after about a year’s service, and the former came home and assisted in organizing a company, of which he was elected first lieutenant.

The great-grandfather of our subject came from Scotland, and our subject’s father, William , came from Virginia, and afterward moved to East Tennessee, where he died, in Blount County.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

CRAWFORD, G.S.W.

G. S. W. CRAWFORD, professor of mathematics in Maryville College, was born in Knox County, Tenn., August 20, 1849. He was reared on a farm, and graduated from the college of which he is now professor, in 1871. He studied at Union Theological Seminary, New York, two years, and at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, one year, and has since filled his present chair of mathematics, excepting from June 30, 1882, until in March, 1883, when he was superintendent of public instruction, during which time he still held his professorship. He is a director of the Bank of Maryville. July 23, 1874, he married Jennie DUNCAN, a native of Blount County. They have three sons and two daughters.

Hugh F., the father, was born in 1806, in Knox County, on the farm settled by the grandfather, Samuel, who was born June 2, 1758. Samuel located then in Grassy Valley, in 1790, the first settlement in that vicinity, and he assisted in building the first residence house in Knoxville. He was in the Revolution with Washington, and took part in the Indian ward. He died on the old farm, May 14, 1822. His wife, Nancy (FORGEY), was born in Hawkins County, August 13, 1768. She was married in 1788, and her death occurred March 13, 1837. Hugh F., one of four sons and three daughters, was also a farmer, and married Rebecca FORGEY, a native of Hawkins County. They lived at the old home until their deaths, in 1885 and 1878 respectively. Our subject is the tenth child of four sons and eight daughters, three of the former and three of the latter still living. Mr. CRAWFORD’S family are Presbyterians.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

BYERLEY, M.L.

M. L. BYERLEY, farmer, was born October 25, 1831, in Knox County, where he remained but two years, when his parents moved to Blount County. In 1876 our subject moved to Knox County, but in the spring of 1887 he moved to his present location in the Tenth District Blount County. He had good common school advantages, and began for himself, a poor man. He now owns 146 acres of splendid land on the Maryville & Louisville Road, six miles northwest of the former place. He is the eldest of ten children of Isaac and Mary (HOBBS) BYERLEY, and born in South Carolina. When about eight years old, his father moved to Blount County, settling on Boyd Creek. Mrs. BYERLEY was born and reared in Virginia, coming to Blount County in 1825. Isaac began as a poor man, and by his ability soon became wealthy, but the actions of other parties caused him to fail. The father and mother were of German and English descent. The grandfather, Jasper BYERLEY, came to America before the Revolution, in which war he was a soldier, and lived to be one hundred and ten years old. Our subject married Rachel C., daughter of Bill and Elizabeth (SWAN) CLARK. Their children were Mary Elizabeth and Sarah Frances, deceased; Emma, afterward Mrs. STRANGE; Ida, afterward Mrs. JOHNSON; Don Charles, Isaac C., Edgar E. ,Myrtle, James and Marcus L. Mr. BYERLEY is a Methodist. He is a Republican, first voted for Scott, and is an industrious and successful man.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.