HALLIBURTON, A.J. (Major)

Maj. A. J. Halliburton, a farmer and valuable citizen of the Tenth District, was born in Humphreys County, in 1814, being one of two children born to Charles A. and Jerusha Halliburton. His grandfather was born in North Carolina in l747, and lived to be seventy-three years old; he was a major in the war of 1812. The father was born in North Carolina, July, 1793; his parents came to Nashville in 1796, then moved to Dickson County, then to Humphreys; he was also in the war of 1812 and died shortly after the battle of New Orleans, March 6, 1815. A. J. Halliburton’s mother was born in Wake County, North Carolina, in 1795, and died October 16, 1882.

Maj. Halliburton married Nancy J., daughter of F. C. and Laura (Duke) Wells. She was born in Kentucky in 1827. They have lived on their present farm since 1848, Maj. Halliburton owning 740 acres of well improved land. In early manhood he taught school for ten years; he is a man of fine business capacity and has met with marked success, and is regarded as a valuable citizen of the county. He held the office of constable until he resigned, and belongs to the Masons and the I. O. O. F., and with his wife belongs to the Missionary Baptist Church. He has been a member of the church at Woodville for forty-nine years.


Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

BAKER, B.G.

B. G. BAKER was born in Hickman County, Tenn., January 11, 1818. His father, Dr. Benj. BAKER, was of German descent, born in New York City, where he received his medical education, and practiced until about 1812; he then went to New Orleans, and after several years came to Tenn., locating in Hickman, where he continued the practice of his profession. About 1815 he married Mrs. Rachel (Petty) FIELDS, who was born in Chatham County, N.C., in 1788; her parents were Virginians, but of Scotch-Irish descent. To Dr. and Mrs. BAKER two sons and two daughters were born: Winnie, the widow of Lot AKIN of Decatur County: Elizabeth, widow of Wm. LIVINGSTONE, of Maury County; Wm. H. married to Miss Arethie NICKELS, and farming in Decatur County, our subject being the fourth child. Dr. Benj. BAKER died in 1822, and his wife in 1858; she was a faithful member of the Free-Will Baptist Church, a true Christian woman.

B. G. BAKER received but a limited education in the country schools of Perry (now Decatur) County, but acquired considerable knowledge from the Bible and other books: has read from the best medical authorities until he is competent to practice in his field; was married in 1837 to Emily HENDRICK of Decatur County, with whom he had two children; only one survives, and is Mrs. Tennessee BAKER (PRIM) McCLURE who is farming in Dyer County, Tenn. Horton Howard BAKER, the son was lieutenant in the Confederate Army; after a gallant leadership in the battle of Shiloh he was taken sick and returned home, living but two days after his arrival there. Mrs. Baker died in 1843.

In August, 1845, Mr. BAKER married Caroline BASSEL, of Humphreys County, Tenn., who became the mother of ten children of those living are James K., a blacksmith by trade, a farmer in Decatur County, married to Elizabeth Harris; Wm. E., a farmer in same county, wife was Theodosia BESLEY; G. W., farmer in Decatur County, married Georgia D. HENDRICK; Mary E., wife of J. A. HAYNES, magistrate and farmer of Decatur County; Martha E., wife of John H. PRATT, farmer in Decatur County; Sarah J., widow of Wm. H. CHURRY, a farmer in Benton County, died in 1880; Winnie M., wife of L. L. WOOD, a farmer in Decatur County; Rachel C., married Robert CLIFT, is farming in Decatur County; Ellen, married John CLIFT, is merchandising and forming in Decatur County. Benjamin and Dora died in infancy. Mr. BAKER is an elder in the Cumberland Church, and a firm Democrat, a man well known and highly respected. — Transcribed by David Donahue

History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, Mcnairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

CURTIS, W.E.

Dr. W. E. Curtis, was born March 27, 1833, in Henry County, Tenn., and is one of seven children born to John and Sarah (Sessams) Curtis, two daughters and our subject being the present surviving members of the family. The father was born in North Carolina, moved to Humphreys County, Tenn., when young, married there, then moved to Marengo County, Ala., about 1815, remained there engaged in farming two years, then moved to Stewart County, Tenn., and in 1826 to Henry County, being one of the early settlers in both counties. He resided in Henry County, farming, till his death in 1872. His wife died in 1854.

Our subject remained with his parents until he attained his majority, then accepted a clerkship in a store at Paris, Henry Co., Tenn., remaining there until 1856, when he embarked in the drag business at the same place, which he continued a few years, when he commenced the study of medicine, attending the medical university at Nashville, during the sessions of 1859-61, and graduated. He began the practice of medicine in Carroll County, locating at McKenzie in 1878. During the war he was surgeon in 1861. Dr. Curtis married Harriet Looney, daughter of Dr. J. D. Looney, now deceased. From this union were born two daughters: Harriet Ella, and Alice, both living. Their mother died in 1865, and in 1866 Dr. Curtis married Ann E. Carson; from this marriage resulted these children: two sons and a daughter—John William, Lillian Howard and Thos. C., deceased. On Dr. Curtis’ father’s old place in Henry County is a very large Indian mound forming a perfect square and containing one and a half acres; the elevation is about seven feet and is used as a building site. The Doctor has two farms in Carroll County of 100 acres each; on one is located a grist-mill; also has a residence in McKenzie. He and his family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is also a member of the F. & A. M.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.