DENISON, Curry P.

Curry P. DENISON, proprietor of the Denison House, Decaturville, Tenn., is a native of Decatur County, born November 11, 1839, a son of Stephen and Elizabeth (INGRAM) DENISON, both natives of Pittsylvania County, Va., and descendants of the early English settlers of the Atlantic coast. Of their family of fourteen children all are living but three: Robert, born September 18, 1814, is a farmer of Henderson County; Alfred, born in 1817, died in 1821; Bird, born July 30, 1818, is also a farmer of Henderson County; Eliza, born August 12, 1820, is now Mrs. Jno. McCALL, of Chester County; Mrs. Anna (DENISON) NEWTON, born December 12, 1822, lives in Denton County, Tex.; Sanford, born December 14, 1824, home in Red River County, Tex.; Wm. H., born January 24, 1826, lives in Red River County, Tex.; Jackson, born June 10, 1829, died July 28, 1859; Benjamin, born May 18, 1821, lives in Red River County, Tex.; Nancy J., born May 28 1833, is married to Andrew McCALL, of Henderson County; Mrs. Minerva (DENISON) PRIDDY, of Henderson County, was born September 22, 1835; David G., born September 1, 1837, died in 1863;Curry P., the subject of this sketch; and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth (DENISON) BREWER, of Henderson County, born May 15, 1844. Stephen DENISON took an active part in many of the sieges and battles of the war of 1812. He was a life-long Whig and worthy citizen, leaving to his posterity an honored name; his death occurred in August, 1865, his wife having died in September, 1860. The grandfather was one of the gallant Virginians who served under Gen. Geo. WASHINGTON.

Curry P. DENISON was raised on a farm; accustomed to labor from boyhood, his educational advantages were limited; being a man of no ordinary ability he has by observation and application become well informed, For a number of years he was a merchant of Henderson County, afterward a farmer; but for the past six years has been proprietor of the Denison House. Politically he is a Republican; was an unswerving supporter of the Union during the late war, which, of course, cost him many dangers and hardships, but escaped uninjured. He is one of the strongest advocates of public schools, is a man well known throughout the country and recognized as one of the best citizens.

November 4, 1860, he was married to Miss Nancy J. BRAY, born November 2, 1843, a daughter of John and Manerva (WALKER) BRAY, of Henderson County. This union resulted in the following births: Fredonia A., born March 14, 1883, married February 28, 1879, to J. T. Rogers, merchant of Decaturville; Kittie A., born October 17, 1864, married Dr. John McMILLAN, of Decaturville; Wm. H., born April 13, 1866, resides at Perryville, Tenn.; Mary A., born January 23, 1868, married, January 14, 1883, to Wm. BARRY, editor of Progress, Lexington, Tenn.; Granville L., born February 18, 1870; Harriet Rosetta, born February 8, 1873; Bertha L., born February 13, 1880, and Allia J., born March 13, 1884. John BRAY, father of Mrs. DENISON, was born February 10, 1828, and. married Manerva WALKER November 24, 1842. She was born March 20, 1827. — Transcribed by David Donahue

History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, Mcnairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

AYDELOTT, J.F. (Dr.)

Dr. J. F. AYDELOTT, a successful practitioner of Decaturvillie, was horn April 28, 1835, son of Andrew E. and Sarah E. (SMITH) AYDELOTT, both natives of Tennessee and both of Irish descent, They removed to Henderson County in 1836, where the father followed agricultural pursuits for some time, after which he engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was a very popular man and one of much influence. Politically he was a Democrat but at the same time he was supported by all parties when he chose to become a candidate for any office. He was sheriff for six years and deputy sheriff for four years. He died October 3, 1882, in Texas, where he had recently removed. The mother preceded him to the grave about three years, dying July 8,1879. Their family consisted of ten children, only .two of whom are living: Dr. J. F. and Sarah B. (Mrs. B. W. CLENNY).

Our subject’s paternal grandfather was a native of Ireland, who immigrated to America shortly after the Revolutionary war. His maternal ancestors were descendants of the old Atlantic coast settlers and several of them were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. Dr. J. F. was brought up on the farm and received the elements of a common-school education supplemented by considerable training at high schools at Saltillo, Decaturville and other places. He began the study of medicine at Decaturville and afterward took a thorough and comprehensive course of instruction at the Louisville Medical University in 1878 from which he graduated with honor, securing the third prize. He has since resided at Decaturville, where he has a successful and prosperous practice. He is treasurer of the Board of Health of Decatur County. In 1879 he married Miss Anna C. JONES, daughter of Dr. T. W. JONES of Decturville, and to them were born four children, three now living: Otto H. (deceased), Arbon Y., Floyd C. and Frank Cleveland. The Doctor is politically a Democrat, a man of wide acquaintance and much influence in Decatur and adjoining counties. — Transcribed by David Donahue

History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, Mcnairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

TUCKER, W.C.

W. C. TUCKER, M.D., farmer and citizen of District No. 5, is a son of W. C. and Mildred H. (Kilber) TUCKER, both natives of Virginia, born in the years 1801 and 1802, respectively. The father was reared in his native State and married in 1826. He was a farmer and died in 1827, in the prime of life. The mother died in the year 1878, a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. W. C. was born in 1827, and was reared by his mother, his father having died when our subject was but an infant. He was educated at Cedar Forest, Va., and came to Henderson County in January,1832. He engaged in mercantile pursuits at Mifflin until 1856, when he began the study of medicine under Dr. COCHRAN of that place. In the fall of 1856 he entered the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, took one course, and immediately began practicing at Mifflin, but was soon compelled to abandon it on account of ill health. He once more engaged in the mercantile business at Juno, Henderson County, and continued till his business was destroyed during the late war. In 1860 he was elected to represent Henderson County in the State Legislature, and served a term of two years to the general satisfaction of the public.

December, 1862, he married Lucy D. BUCKLEY, daughter of John H. and Mary C. BUCKLEY, natives of Virginia. To Dr. and Mrs. TUCKER were born six children: Mary, Mildred A., Alice R., William F., Nathaniel A. and Lucy D. Mrs. TUCKER was born in Henderson County in 1840, and died in 1870. The Doctor has since been a resident of his present farms being now the owner of about 600 acres of good productive land in two tracts, all well improved. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1854.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

TRICE, John H.

John H. TRICE, farmer and citizen of District No. 4, was born in McNairy County, November 7, 1860, and is one of two children, only our subject now living, born to the union of John H. and Susan (Anderson) TRICE. The father was born in Henderson County about 1832 and was of Scotch-English ancestry. He was married, in 1858, and settled in what is now Chester County, where he was engaged in farming. He was elected to the office of magistrate at the age of twenty-two and was holding this position at the time of his death, which occurred December 8, 1881. The mother was born in McNairy County about 1834, and is now living in Madison County. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. John C. TRICE, grandfather of our subject, was a native of North Carolina, born in 1804. He came to Henderson County about 1822 and located near Jacks Creek, in 1824. He is still a resident of that county.

John H., our subject, received his early education at Medon, afterward at Jackson College and finished at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He spent several years of his early life as clerk in a mercantile house and in January, 1883, he married Lessie CAWTHORN, a native of Chester County, born in 1861,and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Her parents are John L. and Martha CAWTHORN. Mr. TRICE owns 800 acres of as fine land as is to be found in the county. He is one of the county’s most enterprising citizens and is a Democrat in politics having cast his first presidential vote for Grover CLEVELAND.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

TRICE, William C.

William C. TRICE, farmer, was born in Henderson County, in 1833, and is one of four children, two now living: Mrs. F. Hamblett and our subject. Their parents, John C. and Elizabeth (Crook) TRICE, are natives of North Carolina and Kentucky respectively, the father born in 1801 and the mother in 1806. John C. was reared in his native State and received but a limited education. He came to Henderson County about 1822 and in about 1828 was married, after which he settled near Jacks Crock where he still resides. He is one of the County’s prominent citizens and is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. The mother is still living. Harrison TRICE, grandfather of our subject, was a native of North Carolina and came to Henderson County about 1827, where he died.

The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools and November 19, 1850, he married Eliza E. BOREN, a native of Henderson County, born in 1835, a member of the Christian Church, and the daughter of Elijah and Mary BOREN. By this union they became the parents of seven children, six of whom arc living: Luke L., Callie R. (Mrs. J. B. Christopher), Lora A., Eva B. (Mrs. M. F. O’Neal), Mattie H. and Lessie. Since his marriage Mr. TRICE has resided on his present farm which consists of 1,200 acres of land, the most of which is under a high state of cultivation. Ho is one of the most extensive land holders in the county and is a practical and ideal farmer. In 1865 he was appointed magistrate and has filled that office in a capable manner ever since. He was a Whig in politics before the war and is now a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

TILLMAN, B.M. (Capt.)

Capt. B. M. TILLMAN, a prominent citizen and farmer residing in the Sixth District, Chester County, was born, in Marshall County, Tenn., October 21, 1840, and is one of nine children born to the union of John and Nancy (Edwards) TILLMAN. Eight of these children are living; one. T. H. died while in. the Confederate service. The parents were both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1817, came to Tennessee when a young man, located in Marshall County, where he remained until about 1841. He then settled in Henderson County, and was a farmer and mechanic by occupation. He was a prominent citizen and died in 1866. The mother was born in 1818 and died in 1880:

Capt. B. M. received his education in the district schools near home and in the Montezuma Academy. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-second Tennessee Infantry, and occupied the position of orderly sergeant. After the consolidation of the Fifty-first and Fifty-second Regiments he was elected captain and took an active part in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge and many minor engagements. He received three slight wounds at Chickamauga, and was once captured and held a prisoner for about four months. In the spring of 1864 he was assigned a special department, and July 4, 1865, returned home.

In 1866 he married Miss M. A. NEWSOM, a native of Marshall County. Ala., born in 1840, and the daughter of’ W. V. and Mahala NEWSOM. To our subject and wife were born two children: John V. and an infant. After the war Mr. TILLMAN located near where he now resides, and began farming, which occupation he has continued up to the present time. In 1872-73 he represented the people in the State Legislature, and was elected to the same position in 1876-77. In 1880 he was elected State senator of the Eighteenth Senatorial District, composed of five counties. Capt. TILLMAN is an active progressive man and one to take the lead in all public enterprises. A short time since he was admitted to the bar. Hie is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Grange order.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

SCARBOROUGH, C.R.

C. R. SCARBOROUGH, present chairman of the county court at Chester County, and a prominent citizen of Mifflin, is the son of Edmund and W. (Tarbutton) SCARBOROUGH, both natives of North Carolina, the father born in 1800 and the mother in 1802. They were married in 1820 and three years later came to Henderson County, and afterward immigrated from there to Madison County where they were classed among the early settlers. The father has been magistrate of Madison County for a number of years, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal. Church, and is still living. The mother was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and died in 1884.

Our, subject was born in Henderson County in 1823, and received his education in the common schools. He spent a portion of his early life in teaching, and February,1840, married Mary J. HODGES, a native of Tennessee, born in 1824, and the daughter of Josiah and Mary HODGES, of Henderson County. Nine children were born to this union, six of whom are living: Lorenzo, W. L., William H. of Arkansas, Samuel A., Mary E. (Mrs. J. H. Wheeler), Jessie F. and Fannie L. Mr. SCARBOROUGH has been a resident of his present farm since 1857, and is the owner at nearly 400 acres of land. He began life with little or nothing, and has succeeded beyond his most sanguine expectations. In 1870 he was elected to the office of magistrate and has been three times re-elected to the same office holding that position at the present time. He has for four years been chairman of the county court, the first year in Henderson County, and since then in Chester County. In 1868 he was appointed postmaster of Mifflin, which position he continues to hold to the general satisfaction of all concerned, lie is a Democrat in politics and east his first presidential vote for Gen. CASS. Mr. SCARBOROUGH is a Mason and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South together with nearly all their living children.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

PARRISH, John A.

John A. PARRISH, farmer and prominent citizen of District No. 4, is a son of Thomas A. and Martha (Stone) PARRISH, and was born in Virginia in 1832. The parents were both natives of Virginia and died in 1867 and 1848 respectively. The mother was a worthy and consistent member of the Baptist Church.

Our subject was reared at home and educated in the common schools. He came to Henderson County in 1830, and at the breaking out of the late war enlisted in Company I, Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry, and was in all the engagements in which his command participated. He was wounded at Franklin and rendered unfit for duty the rest of the war. He then returned home after an absence of three and a half years’ service.

In 1866 he settled on his present farm, which consists of 203 acres of good productive land under a high state of cultivation, all of which he accumulated by his industry and successful management, having started in life without a dollar. January 13, 1885, he married Mollie McGEE, a native of this county, born about 1852, and the daughter of A. P. and P. McGEE. Our subject is a Democrat in politics and cast his limit vote for Fillmore in 1856. Mrs. PARRISH is a member of the Christian Church.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

HARDEMAN, C.O.

C. O. HARDEMAN, present trustee of Chester County, was born in Giles County, Tenn., in 1840; son of Benjamin F. and Ellen (Sanders) HARDEMAN. The father was a native of Middle Tennessee, born in 1815. His educational advantages were very limited, but being a man of great observation and a lover of literature, he, through self study became a well informed man. He was married in Giles County about 1835 and in 1851 removed to Henderson County where be tilled the soil up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1858. He reared a family of ten children — eight sons and two daughters — who are still living. Five of’ his sons were in the Confederate Army all of whom returned without receiving any serious injury. He served as captain in the Mexican war and was a man of considerable influence. The mother was born about 1817 and is still living on the old homestead in Henderson County.

Our subject received his education partly in the common schools and partly by observation and reading. January, 1862, he married Miss Amanda STUBBLEFIELD, a native of Wayne County, Tenn., born in 1835 and the daughter of Thomas and Sallie STUBBLEFIELD, natives of North Carolina and Virginia respectively. They are still living in Henderson County.

To Mr. and Mrs. HARDEMAN were born nine children, six of whom are now living: Thomas B., Jasper G., Sarah Alice, Elizabeth, Cora and C. Maude. Our subject first located near Centre Point where he remained until 1884 engaged in farming; since then he has resided near Henderson and is the owner of 400 acres of land in the vicinity; he also owns land in Henderson County. He held the position of magistrate from 1872 till 1884 when he was elected to the office of trustee of Chester County and re-elected in 1886. He is an ardent and uncompromising Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for Jeff DAVIS in 1861. He is a long-standing and prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and is also a consistent member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. Mrs. HARDEMAN is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

EDWARDS, John B.

John B. EDWARDS, a well known farmer of the Fifth District of Chester County, was born in Henderson County in 1840, the fourth child of a family of six children born to Samuel T. and Charlotte (Robertson) EDWARDS. The father was of Welsh descent; born in North Carolina in 1809, he came with his mother in 1830 to Henderson County, where he lived at the time of his marriage; he settled in the Third District, the portion now called Sixth District of Chester County. He lived there until the time of his death, which occurred in 1844. His wife was also of North Carolina, born in 1812, and died in 1870.

The subject of this sketch received his education at the schools in Mifflin, Lexington, Bethel College and McLemoresville where he attended for four years; he remained at home with his mother until he was about sixteen years of age. In 1856 he accepted a position as salesman in a general store at Mifflin, where he worked over four years, or until hostilities broke out between the North and South. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate service, Company I, Thirteenth Regiment, Tennessee Infantry. He took active part in the engagements at Belmont, Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Franklin and Nashville, also in numerous skirmishes. At the battle of Belmont he was captured and held as prisoner of war, but only for a short length of time. He remained in service until the surrender, was with Gen. FORREST the last six weeks; he returned home April, 1865, after four years of duty.

February, 1865, he married Miss C. A. BUCKLEY, of Henderson County, born in 1844, a daughter of John BUCKLEY. To their union six children have been born: Lizzie, Carl, Hubert, Annettie, Helen and an infant son. In 1866 Mr. Edwards established a general store at Princeton, Madison County. In 1868 he abandoned mercantile pursuits and returned to his native county and began farming. In 1875 he bought 222 acres of land in the Third District, now the Fifth District of Chester County, where he settled and now resides.

For the past three years he has also owned an interest in a general store in Muffin, the company being known as Wheeler, Edwards & Co. Mr. EDWARDS is quite an extensive land holder, all the land being under fine cultivation and improved with buildings. He is a man of great energy, ability and honor; has met with unusual success, and has the respect of the entire community. He is a stanch Democrat, cast his first vote for Jefferson Davis in 1864.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present ; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy, Decatur, and Hardin Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville, TN: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.