SEAL, Richard S.

Richard S. SEAL, farmer, was born in Hawkins, now Hancock County, February 14, 1831, the son of Noel and Nancy (Frost) SEAL, of Irish-English and Irish origin respectively, and natives of Hawkins County, the former born July 30, 1798, and deceased November 29, 1873, and the latter born June 8, 1806, and deceased December 1, 1860, having been married since January 13, 1820. For twenty-four years they lived near Sneedville; in 1844, came to Clinch River, and three years later to Little Barren Creek. Seven years after he moved to another part of the county, and about the same length of time after that settled at Sand Lick. The father was an influential man.

Our subject, the fifth of twelve children, has always been a farmer. October 7, 1855, he married Martha LEWIS of this county, and became a farmer near Big Barren Creek, ten years later moved to near where he now lives, and in 1872, settled at his present home. From June, 1873 to 1877, he was a merchant near his residence, and now owns 400 acres of land. He is a Democrat, and he and his wife are Missionary Baptists. They have four sons and three daughters, one of the latter deceased.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

CLOUD, Alexander M.

Alexander M. CLOUD, farmer, was born at Tazewell January 3, 1847, the son of Benjamin F. and Elizabeth M. (Shutlz) CLOUD, of Irish and German origin, and natives, the former of Hawkins County, born in November, 1802, and deceased in 1880, and the latter born in Claiborne County in 1829, and still living.  After their marriage in 1845 they began farming.  The father has served as deputy and county clerk and circuit clerk, and his father, Benjamin Sr., was the first county clerk of this county.  In 1855-56 the father represented his county in the State Legislature, during which time he secured the charter for Tazewell College.  

Our subject, the eldest of four children, was educated at his college, and up to 1876 remained at the home place, and then moved to where he now lives.  Although delicate in health, he is successful and popular farmer.  June 3, 1875, he married Mary A. JOHNSTON, of Claiborne County, a member of the Presbyterian Church.  They have three sons and two daughters

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

CAMPBELL, Andrew W.

Andrew W. CAMPBELL, merchant and farmer, was born in Hawkins County, November 26, 1840, the son of Joseph and Frankie (Vermillion) CAMPBELL, natives of Hawkins County and Lee County, Virginia.  After marriage in Lee County, they settled at Sneedville as farmers, for about eight years, and, after twenty years in Hawkins County, came to Claiborne, where the former died in May, 1868, about seventy-five years of age, and the latter died Christmas day, 1873, aged seventy-two.  The father was a Democrat, and both were Methodists.  Our subject, the eighth of nine children, was fairly educated, and in August, 1869, married Julia A., a daughter of Cornelius and Sibbie CARMACK.  Since marriage, they have lived at their present farm, where in 1880 he opened a store, and had built a flouring mill and corn mill.  He is a Democrat, and he and his wife are Methodists. Their sons are Leonidas M. and Horace B.

Our subject has Epsom Mineral Springs on his farm, said to be the celebrated Tate Springs.  Their little son, Horace Byron, died August 5th, 1887.  In January previous he made a bright profession of religion, and united himself with the “Church Militant on Earth,” though a child of only ten summers.  He loved the church and the cause of Christ, until death entered this home circle in the form of flux and took the darling boy.  In their sorrow they are sustained by the hope that his freed spirit has joined the triumphant throng that sing praises around the throne of God.  Byron was eleven years, one week and two days old.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.

COLDWELL, Thomas H.

THOMAS H. COLDWELL was born in Shelbyville August 29, 1822. His father, John Campbell COLDWELL, was born January 8, 1791, in Hawkins County, Tenn., and removed with his father, Ballard COLDWELL, and family to Bedford County, January 1, 1807. John Campbell COLDWELL served two campaigns under Gen. Jackson, one against the Creek Indians, in which he participated in the battle at Horse Shoe, and the other against the British, in which he was a participant at New Orleans, January 8, 1815. After this campaign he settled at Shelbyville, and was a merchant from 1818 to 1843, at which time he retired to his farm, where he died July 17, 1867.

Thomas H. COLDWELL’s mother was June NORTHCOTT, born in Fleming County, Ky., the daughter of Rev. Benjamin NORTHCOTT. Thomas was the eldest of two boys and two girls in this family. He was educated at Dixon Academy, Shelbyville, and studied law with Irwin J. FRIERSON, Esq. He was licensed to practice in January, 1844, and has ever since been in his profession at Shelbyville, and is one of the leading members of that bar. He first married Mary J. HODGE, at Murfreesboro, November 24, 1844. After her death he married Sarah E. GOLING, in Cincinnati, May 6, 1851. After her death he married Mrs. Mary H. BOSWORTH, in Shelbyville, September 20, 1854, and after her death he married Carrie HOPKINS, in Cincinnati, November 11, 1875. The last wife died December 4, 1884.

For many years Judge COLDWELL was an active worker in the Sons of Temperance, and was elected Grand Worthy Patriarch for the State of Tennessee in 1851. He was an unflinching Union man throughout the war. In 1864 he was commissioned by Gov. Andrew Johnson chancellor of the Fourth Chancery Division of Tennessee, but resigned in a shore time. In October, 1865, he was commissioned attorney-general of the State and reporter of the supreme court, and in May, 1867, was elected by the people to that office without opposition. While serving in this capacity he reported seven volumes of the decisions of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, and considers this the most pleasant part of his professional career. While attorney-general he entered a nolle prosequi in all cases that came to the supreme court, when persons were indicted for treason against the State — a class of indictments which grew out of the late civil war, the disposal of which in this manner won for him the earnest gratitude of his fellow citizens. In 1868 he was the Grant and Colfax elector for the Fifth Congressional District of Tennessee. From 1865 to 1871 he served as one of the directors of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad. He was a lay member of the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church at its session, held at Brooklyn, in 1872, and while there was the author of the resolution sending fraternal delegates from the Methodist Episcopal Church to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He has always been a zealous worker in the church, giving most liberally to all of its enterprises, and has always been an active Sunday-school worker. During 1871-72 he was president of the Bedford County Agricultural Society. He was instrumental, in 1869, in securing the building of the Bedford County Court House, and was chairman of the building committee. He has been one of the directors of the Shelbyville Savings Bank ever since its organization, and was president of that bank three years. He has been a member of the board of directors of the Central Tennessee College, in Nashville, ever since its organization, and for thirteen years has been president of the board.

He is a fearless advocate of the education and Christianizing of the negro. For fifteen years he has been president of the board of school directors of the Seventh District, and at his last election he received every vote cast. In 1871 he was appointed by President Grant, at the recommendation of Gov. DeWitt C. Senter, as commissioner for the State of Tennessee to the Centennial Exposition, at Philadelphia, in 1871. He served till 1877. He was on many of the important committees and was elected first vice-president of the commission, being one of the most active participants in those measures that made the exhibition so great a success. Judge COLDWELL has two children; Gen. Ernest COLDWELL, the child of the third wife, who is his partner in law, and Carrie (“Sunshine”) COLDWELL, the child of his last wife. Judge COLDWELL is an outspoken Republican. He is a friend to the poor and oppressed, a liberal supporter and patron of education and religion, and a leading and enthusiastic member of his party.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

CRAWFORD, G.S.W.

G. S. W. CRAWFORD, professor of mathematics in Maryville College, was born in Knox County, Tenn., August 20, 1849. He was reared on a farm, and graduated from the college of which he is now professor, in 1871. He studied at Union Theological Seminary, New York, two years, and at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, one year, and has since filled his present chair of mathematics, excepting from June 30, 1882, until in March, 1883, when he was superintendent of public instruction, during which time he still held his professorship. He is a director of the Bank of Maryville. July 23, 1874, he married Jennie DUNCAN, a native of Blount County. They have three sons and two daughters.

Hugh F., the father, was born in 1806, in Knox County, on the farm settled by the grandfather, Samuel, who was born June 2, 1758. Samuel located then in Grassy Valley, in 1790, the first settlement in that vicinity, and he assisted in building the first residence house in Knoxville. He was in the Revolution with Washington, and took part in the Indian ward. He died on the old farm, May 14, 1822. His wife, Nancy (FORGEY), was born in Hawkins County, August 13, 1768. She was married in 1788, and her death occurred March 13, 1837. Hugh F., one of four sons and three daughters, was also a farmer, and married Rebecca FORGEY, a native of Hawkins County. They lived at the old home until their deaths, in 1885 and 1878 respectively. Our subject is the tenth child of four sons and eight daughters, three of the former and three of the latter still living. Mr. CRAWFORD’S family are Presbyterians.

Source:  Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.