JACKSON, D.C.

D.C. JACKSON, a prominent citizen of Summitville, Tenn., was born November 16, 1821, in Monticello, Ky., and is the son of J.B. and Dorcas (Cox) JACKSON. The father was born in Lewisburg, N.C., in 1798, and when quite young came to Tennessee. For eight years, before he went into the mercantile business, he was clerk of McMinn County.The mother was born about 1797 in Tennessee. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he was a Democrat. In 1839 our subject began an extensive tour through Virginia, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Indian Territory and Mexico.

He then returned to Coffee County and September 8, 1846, married Edna TAYLOR, of Grainger County. She lived but a short time. After visiting California until 1851, he returned and married Mary F. RHODES, of Coffee County, April 18, 1852. She died January 31, 1855. They had one child, John F., who died at four years of age. He visited California a second time, and April 23, 1860, married Elizabeth CHILTON, of Jefferson County. They have six children. In 1861, he enlisted as Confederate captain of the Thirty-seventh Tennessee Infantry; he organized a cavalry company a year later as captain also. Under Col. ADRIAN and others he continued until the war’s close, receiving several wounds at Chickamauga and Steubenville. Since the war he has been at Summitville, engaged in farming, as justice of the peace, and in his present position as postmaster.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

DAVIDSON, George W.

George W. DAVIDSON, one of the oldest and most prominent citizens of Tullahoma, and a member of the Coffee County bar, was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., June 21, 1826, and is the son of Joel and Elizabeth (Henry) DAVIDSON. The father was born at Beon’s Station, Grainger County, Tenn., in July, 1799, and died in August in 1848. The mother was born in Hillsboro, Orange Co., N.C., January 5, 1800, and died in November, 1883. Both were members of the Old School Presbyterian Church.

Our subject was reared on a farm, and received a limited education. He learned the cabinet-maker’s trade at the age of sixteen years, and followed the same for about four years. Until the breaking out of the war he was engaged at contracting and building. He then became drill master for first one and then the other army in the mountain counties of Tennessee, and in 1863 entered the Federal quartermaster’s department, and served in the capacity of clerk until the close of the war. He was soon appointed postmaster at Tullahoma, and held the office until his resignation in November, 1885. During his postmastership he was also United States commissioner, and holds the office at present, together with that of recorder of Tullahoma. For several years he held the following offices at one and the same time: Postmaster, United States commissioner, recorder, justice of the peace, public school director, and notary public.

Mr. DAVIDSON was married February 24, 1864, to S.W. CLEVELAND, who was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., in 1844. To them have been born five children: Robert H. born May 17, 1865; Joan, September 10, 1869; Abraham L., May 27, 1873; William J. September 16, 1875, and Maud, January 25, 1879. Robert H. is at present deputy postmaster at Tullahoma. In 1870 our subject was licensed as an attorney by Judges STEELE and TILLMAN. He is a Republican, but was a Whig previous to the war. He is conservative in his political views and has warm friends in both parties. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church North, while his wife belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

Hurst & Stone

Hurst & Stone, attorneys at law, Tazewell, Tenn., practice in the courts of Claiborne County, and in the supreme court at Knoxville.  Their partnership was formed in the fall of 1885.  Members of the firm are Thomas W. STONE and E.A. HURST, both of whom reside at Tazewell.  

T.W. STONE was born in the Eighth Civil District of Claiborne County, three and one-half miles southwest of Tazewell, June 21, 1844.  His father, Thomas H. STONE, came from North Carolina to Claiborne County when he was quite a small boy, nearly eighty years ago.  He grew up on the farm, and married Mary HARPER, who was the daughter of Willis HARPER,, one of the oldest settlers in the county.  Thomas W. STONE was the ninth child of a family of eleven all but one of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and all but two of whom still live and have families.  He was raised on the farm, and his education was very limited. The war broke out while he was yet young, and before he had gone to school exceeding eighteen months altogether.  On September 16, 1862, he was conscripted by the Confederate Army, and remained with Company C., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry, until the fall of 1863, when he escaped from that army, and in February, 1864, volunteered in the Federal Army, Company H., Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry. He was sergeant and clerk of his company, and remained with it until October, 1865, when he was honorably discharged.  After the war he engaged in farming, married Louvina BEELER, a daughter of Daniel and Louvina BEELER, members of the oldest families of Grainger County, December, 1867.  He lived in Grainger County two years, then came to Claiborne, where he farmed and sold goods until he was elected clerk of the circuit court of said county in 1874.  He served in this capacity one term, during which he studied law.  He obtained a license in 1878, and has, since that time, been engaged in the practice of that profession, together with mercantile and other business.  He was a member of the firm of T.W. Stone & Co., saddlers and harness makers, of Stone & Wall, and of White & Stone, merchants, of Carr & Stone and of Rogers & Stone, attorneys.  He was elected justice of the peace in August, 1882, and still holds that position; served as chairman of county court for the year 1885.  He has acquired some property, and has real estate in and near Tazewell worth some $3,500.  

He has one child, a son, by his first marriage, whom he has given a very fair education.  His wife Louvina, died in April, 1877, and he married Harriet HURT the following August, with whom he is now living.  He was chairman of the Democratic executive committee of his county from 1876 to 1884, and has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since 1872.  He was made a Master of the lodge during the year 1883.  His first wife was a member of the Methodist Church, his last is a member of the Missionary Baptist.

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of from Twenty-Five to Thirty Counties of East Tennessee. Chicago: Goodspeed, 1887.