STONE, I.C.

I.C. STONE, is of English, Irish and Scotch descent. His ancestors settled in the colony of North Carolina. Their descendants mainly kept pace with the tide of immigration to the new States and Territories. The paternal grandfather, Thomas STONE, probably of English, and Scotch origin, married Miss Sally CORDER, of Scotch family, about 1789 in North Carolina on the waters of the Yadkins River, and not long after settled in Tennessee, where the father, C.H. STONE, was born December 22, 1796. The maternal grandfather, Joseph ALLISON, supposed to be partly of English and known to be partly of Irish origin, married Jane DONALDSON, a native of Ireland, and settled in Orange County, N.C., about twelves miles northwest of Hillsboro. Here the mother, the youngest of her parents, was born about 1793. Here she lived until maturity and obtained an ordinary education. The grandfather ALLISON had settled in White County and grandfather STONE had settled in Jackson County, Tenn., before 1818. At the home of the former in White County, the father and mother were married in October, 1818. They had five children of whom our subject was the fourth and the only son.

In 1826 our subject was taken to Smith County, two miles from the mouth of Hickman Creek, and there reared, and received a country school education. The father was an independent farmer of ordinary education for frontier life. In June, 1846, our subject was a volunteer in the Tennessee Mounted Rifles in the Mexican war. After marching from Memphis, by Little Rock, Ark., Washington and Victoria, Tex., he arrived at Matamoras late in the fall. He was attacked by a severe case of measles at Washington but kept up with the regiment. In Mexico, although not recovered, he was given night duty by J.F. GARDNER, and in a severe norther, after standing his time, convinced that he would die if he staid on duty, he told the officer his condition, returning to camp in the face of the officer’s threats, but the next morning he was so sick he was sent to the hospital and afterward discharged. Reaching home almost dead, April 19, 1847, he has never fully recovered. Having earned his money he entered Irving College, March 11, 1848,and graduated in June, but remained until September 19, 1851. Returning home he taught ten consecutive months there, then the same at Granville Academy in Jackson County almost immediately after. Three days after the close of this he entered the Lebanon Law School, Tennessee, and thus paid his way, and after fifteen months graduated. Soon after he began to practice law at Smithville, Tenn. In 1861 he entered the Southern Army, and served as a private mostly. He was one of Jefferson Davis’ escorts from Greensboro, N.C., to Washington, Ga. He heard the statesman speak and saw much of him, and says he appeared as the great man and statesman only.

November 7, 1864, he married in Merriwether County, Ga., the beautiful and accomplished Sarah E. FAULKNER, at her grandmother, B residence, and returned to his command in seven days, and saw her no more until after he was paroled in 1865. She died May 19, 1866, at Manchester, Tenn. February 28, 1876, he married Mrs. Dora HUGGINS a native of Hanover, Germany, and whose maiden name was SHRODER. Their five children are Ada Flora, Ella Jane, Iraby Claiborn, Sally and Albert Marks. Late in the fall of 1865, he located at Manchester. January 19, 1866, at their instance, he formed a partnership at Winchester to practice law in Coffee County, with Cols. A.S. COLYER and A.S. MARKS, continuing with the latter until he was elected chancellor, and resuming with him when his governorship expired. Treated kindly by these gentlemen, he expresses gratitude to them. His practice with them has been a fair proportion of Coffee County business, while before it was moderate. He is a member of the Disciples of Christ, and a Democrat.

Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

WRIGHT, W.M.

W. M. Wright, M.D., was born in DeKalb County, Tenn., November 6, 1838, son of Dr. Ebenezer Wright, who was born in Massachusetts in 1800. He came to Tennessee when a young man, and in 1841 removed to Huntingdon where he was engaged in the practice of medicine for twenty years. He was a man of extended learning and a prominent physician of his day. He died in Huntingdon in 1860, lamented by all who knew him. The mother of our subject was Olivia A. Wright whose maiden name was Moore. She was born in 1812, and died in 1841. She was a daughter of Col. William Moore, who was editor of one of the first newspapers of Tennessee. He was a man of distinction, and died in Carthage, Middle Tenn.

The subject of this biography is the youngest of three children and is of Scotch-Irish extraction. He has one sister, Mrs. E. M., wife of Judge L. L. Hawkins, of Huntingdon. The only brother of our subject was Col. Moses H. Wright, who was born in Dekalb County, Tenn., in 1836. When only a few years of age, he was brought by his parents to Huntingdon and here he passed his early life and received an academic education. In 1854 he was appointed by Hon. Emerson Etheridge (then a member of Congress) to a cadetship at West Point where he graduated with high honors in 1859 in the class with such men as Gen. Horace Porter, of the Federal Army and Gen. Wheeler, of the Confederate Army. During the war he served in the Confederate Army with the rank of colonel in the ordnance department, and gained a high degree of prominence, ranking second only to the chief of his department.

In 1863, near Atlanta, Ga., he married Miss Sallie Lehon, of Nashville, daughter of Rev. E. W. Lehon, who was a prominent divine of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. At the time of Col. Wright’s death, January 8, 1886, he resided in Louisville, Ky., and was a member of the firm of J. Balmforth & Co., of that city. He and J. Balmforth, one of his partners, were killed on the day above stated, by the falling in of their business house. He was an earnest Christian and one of the most prominent business men of Louisville. Dr. W. M. Wright received an academic education at Huntingdon and began the study of medicine in 1859 under the direction of his illustrious father. During the war he was assistant surgeon in the Confederate Army and was commissioned such in 1862. He was graduated from the Mission Medical College at St. Louis. Since 1865 he has been located at Huntingdon, and is one of the leading physicians of West Tennessee.

He is a Democrat politically, and for quite a number of years has taken an active part in politics. He was a member of the constitutional convention, which met at Nashville in 1870. In 1871 he was appointed superintendent of prisons four years and was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at St. Louis in 1876. Dr. Wright was married in 1870 to Erin Hanna, of Paris, Tenn., born in 1850. They have four children: Jamie McNeill, Charles Hanna, William Eben and Thomas McNeill. Dr. and Mrs. Wright are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and are among the prominent people of the county.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.

KEATON, J.H.

J. H. Keaton, farmer of the Twenty-first District, and a native of Carroll County, Tenn., was born May 30, 1831, and is one of a family of nine children born to C. W. and Mary (Hays) Keaton, natives respectively of Virginia and South Carolina. The father was born in Patrick County, in 1797, and when about ten years old came to Tennessee, located in DeKalb County, where he was married, and remained there till 1819. He was a farmer by occupation and was magistrate of his district for twenty-five years. He died in 1871. The mother was born in 1799 and died in 1873.

Our subject grew to manhood on the farm and received his education in the schools near home. December 29, 1851, he married Martha M. Leach, a native of Carroll County, born in October, 1832, and the daughter of Abner and Sallie Leach. Seven children were born to our subject and wife by this union: Laura A., Mary, Elizabeth, Emma, Ella, Beatrice and John D. Mr. Keaton owns 500 acres of well improved land situated one mile east of Atwood, and also about the same number of acres in Arkansas. In 1871 he began the milling business, by sawing lumber; this he continued until March, 1885, when he built a saw and grist-mill combined, at Atwood, and is now engaged in doing a good business. He is interested in a saw and grist-mill in Gibson County, at Cade’s Switch, on the Illinois Central Railroad. He is a Republican in politics, a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

 

Transcribed by David Donahue


Source: History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Carroll, Henry and Benton Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978.