WOOD, Thomas W.

THOMAS W. WOOD, M. D., of Shelbyville, Tenn., is a son of James and Eliza (Oberall) Wood, natives, respectively, of North Carolina and Virginia.  The father was born February 10, 1798, and the mother May 13, 1806.  They were married September 17, 1829.  Ten children blessed their union:  John A., William J., Melissa J., Thomas W., Sarah A., Horace O., Nancy P., Martha H., Eliza T. and James GMr. Wood came to Tennessee about 1810, and located in what is now Cannon County, where he remained about two years, and then moved to near Woodbury, where he died November 16, 1865.  He had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South for nearly forty years.  The mother died September 11, 1874.

Thomas W. Wood was born in Cannon County, where he received a good common school education, and attended the Lawrence Academy at Woodbury Station.  At the breaking out of the war he joined the Eighteenth Tennessee Infantry, and participated in the battle of Shiloh and numerous skirmishes, and was selected as the one to receive the banner for his company, presented by the young ladies of Woodbury.  Owing to ill health he was soon compelled to abandon active service, but was given a position in the commissary department and served as commissary sergeant until the close of the war.

He was paroled at Macon, Ga., and after his return home engaged in farming and school teaching.  He began his medical studies in 1867, and attended his first course of lectures in the medical department of the University of Nashville in 1868, 1869 and 1870, graduating the latter year.  He has since practiced in Bedford County, and has built up an extensive practice.  Dr. Wood was appointed by the county commissioner as physician for the poor asylum, and has held that position ten years.  He was twice appointed deputy county clerk of Cannon County, and at one time lacked only a few votes of being the nominee of the Democratic party for representative of Bedford County.  He was at one time salesman in a wholesale hat house in Philadelphia.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

COOPER, Alexander A.

ALEXANDER A. COOPER was born January 12, 1832, in Rutherford County, Tenn., son of Micajah R. and Sarah (Vincent) COOPER. The father was a native of Rowan County, N. C., born December 28, 1806. When nine years of age he moved with his parents to Cannon County, this State, and in 1829 he was married. To this union were born twelve children, our subject being the second. The father of our subject died February 16, 1874, and the mother in May, 1864.

Our subject was educated in the country schools and at Union University at Murfreesboro. After reaching his majority he followed various occupations, such as teacher, merchant and trader up to the late war, when he was appointed by the commissary-general and permanently detailed by the Secretary of War as general purchasing agent of the commissary department for the Confederate Army which position he held during the war. He then returned home and resumed merchandising at Wartrace, which he continued for two years. He then located on the farm where he now lives. He also served as deputy clerk of the county court of this county for ten years. He has held several minor offices and has been magistrate of his civil district six years.

October, 1862, he married Miss Mary E. SINGLETON, daughter of Dr. Robert L. SINGLETON, of Fairfield, now deceased. To our subject and wife were born the following children: Robert S., Henry V., Constance, Alexander A. and Sarah A., all living. Mr. COOPER is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows’ orders, and owns a farm of 100 acres near Fairfield on the Wartrace & Beech Grove Turnpike. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Duck River Academy, and takes an active part in educational matters.

Transcribed by Kathryn Hopkins

Goodspeed Publishing Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present: Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Maury, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Bedford & Marshall Counties, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Reminescences [Sic], Observations, Etc., Etc. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1988.

MOORE, J.G.

J.G. Moore, clerk of the county court of Cannon County, is a native of the county, having been born in 1837 and is the eldest of a family of ten children, nine of whom are still living. His parents were William and Elizabeth (Warren) Moore. Both natives of Virginia, the former having been born in 1813, and having come to this country in about 1843. The latter was born in 1816.

The subject of this sketch received his education mainly in the Mountain Creek Institute, Warren County. In 1866 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Taylor, daughter of N.M. Taylor. To this marriage were born six children.

Mr. Moore is a carpenter and builder by trade and also a farmer, though he follows his trade most of the time. In 1872 he was elected register of the county, and filled the position for one term. In August, 1886, he was elected to his present position. He served as magistrate of the district ten years. He is a man well known and highly esteemed by all, and has always given encouragement to every laudable public enterprise. Politically he is a Democrat, and he is a member of both the Odd Fellow and Masonic fraternities. Both himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. In 1861 he joined the Confederate Army, becoming a member of Company H, Eighteenth Tennessee Infantry, of which J.B. Palmer was at the time colonel. He was in many of the hard-fought battles of the war, was wounded at Fort Donelson, and was captured at Missionary Ridge, whence he was taken to Indianapolis, Ind., where he was held prisoner until the close of the war.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

MINGLE, W.T.

W.T. Mingle, editor and proprietor of the Cannon Carrier, was born in Cannon County, August 25, 1857, one of seven children of William J. and Alice G. (Cathey) Mingle, both natives of Cannon County. The father was born in 1828. He is a farmer of the Eleventh District, and served as deputy sheriff some time. The mother was born in 1828.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the county schools. In 1873 he went to Alexandria, where he and his brother, R.A., had charge of the Alexandria Enterprise for a year. He then located at Woodbury. November, 1884, he took his present position and has been very successful. He is an ardent Democrat and wide-awake business man, and an able editor. July, 180, he married Miss. M.A., daughter of J.A. and N.L. Bryson of Cannon County. Four children have been born to the union: Clingman T., Eliza J. (deceased), Hugh L. and Lemuel B.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

MELTON, L.L.

L.L. Melton, an enterprising and prominent resident of the Tenth District, was born in Cannon County, in 1845. He was one of eleven children born to John and Catherine Melton. The parents are natives of North Carolina, and now reside in the Seventh District of Cannon County. The father was born in 1800. He is a farmer. The mother was born in 1804.

The subject of our sketch received his education partly in the county schools and by private instruction. In 1859 he married Miss. Pairlee, daughter of William Powell. By this union there are five children living. For many years our subject was successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1884 he purchased a saw mill, and since then has done an extensive manufacturing business, and has also been engaged in merchandising with G.G. Melton. They have a liberal patronage.

In August, 1879, Mr. Melton was elected magistrate, and has since held the office. He is a stanch Democrat and a Mason. He has always been an active and able business man, widely known and esteemed and ever interested in the improvement and welfare of the community. He and his wife are earnest members of the Christian Church.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

JONES, James A.

Hon. James A. Jones, of the firm of Jones & Houston, Woodbury, Tenn., is a native of Alabama, born in 1838. His parents were Joseph and E.A. Jones, the former a native of North Carolina, a dentist, a planter and a very successful business man, dying in December, 1857; the latter born in Butler County, Ala., in 1818, and dying in 1853.

The subject of this sketch completed his literary education at the Brownwood Institute, La Grange, Ga. In 1858, and shortly afterward began the study of law with Judge John K. Henry, of Greenville, Ala., where he remained until April, 1861, when he enlisted in the Confederate Army, becoming sergeant of Company A, Eighteenth Tennessee Infantry, under Capt. M.P. Rushing. He served as sergeant about four months, and was then transferred to the Twenty-third Tennessee Infantry and elected captain of the company just before the battle of Shiloh, after which he returned home. He then served as quartermaster in the Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, and at the close of the war was on the coast defenses in Florida, as lieutenant of his company.

After the close of the war he returned to Alabama, and was engaged in the real estate business until about 1870, and in 1871 he moved to Woodbury, where he has since engaged in the practice of law. In 1874 he was elected to the State Senate from Cannon, Warren, Coffee and DeKalb Counties, and was in the Legislature that elected ex-President Johnson to the United States Senate. In 1859 he was married to Miss Harriett Morton, of Warren County, by whom he has nine children.

Mr. Jones has always been an active man, and was for some time engaged in the newspaper business. He is a Democrat in politics, is widely known and as a lawyer stands very high. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church, and both a Mason and an Odd Fellow.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

HOUSTON, W.C.

Hon. W.C. Houston, of the firm of Jones & Houston, attorneys at law, residing at Woodbury,Tenn., is a native of Bedford County, having been born there March 17, 1852. He is the son of William and Elizabeth Clay (Morgan) Houston. The former was a native of Iredell County, N.C., born in 1821, and came to Tennessee about 1835. He located in Bedford County, where he lived the rest of his days. He was a planter and a very successful business man. His death occurred in March, 1853. His wife was born in Rutherford County, March 10, 1822. She was first married to Newton Clark, of Bedford County, whom she survived; afterward married William Houston, and some time after his death married Benjamin Fugett, of Cannon County, who is now deceased.

The subject of this sketch received his education mostly at Woodbury. At the age of twenty-two he took charge of the Woodbury Press, and continued editor and proprietor two years. In 1876 he was chosen representative in the Legislature from Cannon and Coffee Counties. On his retirement from this position he devoted himself to his farm and to the study of the law until 1879, when he was admitted to the bar. In 1880 he was again elected to the Legislature, and in 1882 he was again re-elected. At the session which convened in 1883 he was appointed chairman of the committee on finance. While occupying his seat in the Legislature he took a very active and prominent part in the settlement of the State debt question. From 1882 to 1884 he was a member of the State Democratic executive committee.

In November, 1878, he was married to Miss Lura Kittrell, daughter of Maj. M.B. Kittrell, of Rutherford County. She is a native of Wilson County, and was born March 22, 1859. By their marriage they have two sons: Frank, born July 4, 1882, and William, born March 19, 1884. Mr. Houston has a half-sister, formerly Hattie Clark, now wife of Hon. William Barton; and also half-brother, Simpson Fugitt, both of whom are residents of Cannon County. The law firm of Jones & Houston was formed in 1886, and is universally considered the strongest in the country, both members being men of high honor and marked ability. Mr. Houston is an ardent and enthusiastic Democrat, and both himself and his wife are members of the Christian Church.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

HARE, D.D.

D.D. Hare, a prominent farmer of the First District, was born in Williamson County in 1838. He was one of four surviving children of a family of eleven born to John P. and Nancy Hare. The father was born in North Carolina in 1809, and came to Tennessee with his parents when a child. He has been a farmer and resident of Cannon County since 1840. The mother was born in Tennessee in 1809, and died in 1855.

Our subject received his education in the county schools, and at Irwin College. In 1855 he located where he know resides. In 1859 he married Miss Martha L., daughter of Rev. E. McMillan, of Carlinville, Ill. Their union resulted in the birth of B.B., Minnie and Fannie. In September, 1862, Mr. Hare enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company E, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, under the command of Col. Baxter Smith, and Capt. H. A. Wiley. He took active part in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, and Chickamauga, and many minor engagements. He was captured shortly after the battle of Chickamauga. He was confined a few days at Carthage, Gallatin and Nashville, and finally taken to the federal prison at Indianapolis and retained nineteen months.

He returned home in March, 1865. Previous to the war he was a Whig; but is now a Democrat and a Mason. He is a useful and respected citizen, deeply interested in the advancement of educational and beneficial enterprises. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

FINLEY, Josephus

Josephus Finley, Clerk of the circuit court of Cannon County, is a native of the county, and was born in 1825. He was the first of a family of nine children, six of whom are still living. His parents were Isaac and Eleanor Finley, the former a native of Tennessee, born in 1799, and was a farmer, and had held the office of magistrate and county register, holding the latter at the time of his death. The mother of our subject was born in Kentucky in 1796, and is now living at the old homestead near Woodbury.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the schools of the county. In 1848 he was married to Louisa Simpson, by whom he has two children living, and who died in August 1860. He has followed farming most of his life. In 1865 he was elected clerk of the county court, and was twice re-elected. He has held the office of magistrate for the past twenty-four years, and in 1886 he was elected to his present office.

In 1861 he was married to Zenobia Foster, who was born in Cannon County in 1834. They have six children, all of whom are living. Mr. Finley is an independent in politics, voting for principles rather than for party. Both he and his wife are consistent members of the church, and both are widely known highly esteemed.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.

DEMENT, J.A.

J.A. Dement, an enterprising farmer of the First District, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn., in 1823. He was the only son of Cader and Mary (Andrews) Dement. The father was born in Tennessee in 1777. He took part in the war of 1812 under Gen. Jackson. He was a farmer by occupation, but filled some minor political offices. He was well known and universally respected. He was three times married and raised thirteen children. His death occurred in 1849.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the schools of his native county. In 1847 he married Margaret, daughter of Alexander Lockey of Rutherford County. She died in 1851. A few years later our subject wedded Miss Jane J., daughter of Rev. E. McMillian of Gallatin, Tenn. By this union there are three children living: Mattie (widow of D. Hogwood), Albert M. and Wilson M. In 1847 Mr. Dement located where he now resides. He has always been an energetic, worthy citizen and a generous supporter of all laudable enterprises. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for fifty years; his wife belongs to the same church. He is a Democrat, but was a Whig previous to the war.


Source: Goodspeed Pub. Co. History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of the Counties of White, Warren, Coffee, DeKalb, and Cannon, Besides a Valuable Fund of Notes, Original Observations, Reminiscences, Etc., Etc. Nashville: Goodspeed Pub. Co, 1887.